1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Ballentine's book: 1st or 2nd edition?

1. Feb 11, 2016 #1
    I'm planning to get a copy of Quantum Mechanics - Modern Development by L. E. Ballentine. However I am uncertain between the first and second editions. The first edition is cheaper. I will be using it for my PhD research with the topic of atomic physics. Will the second edition give me additional advantage in the subject I will be researching on which is not found in the first?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2016 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

Afaict, the 2nd edition just has an extra chapter about quantum information. I'd cough up the extra money -- you can never have too many textbooks. :oldwink:

(I bought one of the first copies of the 2nd edition, and the print quality was disappointingly poor. So I still use my 1st edition for everything except the quantum information material.)

4. Feb 11, 2016 #3
    Thank you for your reply.
    Can you give examples by poor print quality, is it like it has many typos in text and equations?
    From what I infer, you are saying that the first's print quality is better than the second?

5. Feb 11, 2016 #4

strangerep

Science Advisor

Not typos -- more like not enough ink was used, so many letters were are a bit difficult to read. Possibly, I should have returned it to Amazon and complained, but it wasn't quite bad enough to make me do that. After all, I was able to read the quantum information chapter.

Note that this is some time ago. Newer printings might be ok.

6. Feb 11, 2016 #5
    That's good to know.
    Quantum information does not seem to be needed at least in the immediate future of my carrier, so I think I can forgo the second edition and purchase the first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted