Banked Curve: Finding the normal force with friction

In summary: What have you tried, and what results did you get? Without that information, we cannot provide any meaningful assistance.
WitteVrouw
This is a five part question, of which I have completed 2 parts, which I will explain below. This is a level 1 physics problem concerning centripetal motion on banked curves and the forces that apply to objects in these scenarios.

PROBLEM:

A car travels at a speed of 27m/s around a curve with a radius of 43m (keep in mind that acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s2

What is the net centripetal force needed to keep the car from skidding sideways?
Answer in units of N.

38,993.02326N
My solution to part one ----> Correct

Were there no friction between the car's tires and the road, what centripetal force could be provided just by the banking of the road?
Answer in units of N.

15,782.67791N My solution to part two ------> Correct

Now suppose the friction force is sufficient to keep the car from skidding. Calculate the magnitude of the normal force (Fn) exerted on the car by the road's surface. Hint: Check the correctness of your answer to the first part before proceeding with this and the following questions.

Solution to Part three -------> Unknown

Calculate the magnitude of the friction force.
Answer in units of N.

Solution to Part four ---------> Unknown

Calculate the lowest possible value of the static friction coefficient mus that would prevent the car from skidding.

Solution to Part five ---------> Unknown

NOW, here is where I am stuck. I am fairly sure that parts 3-5 deal with the components of the Normal Force and the Force of Static Friction but I keep getting lost with my equations (somehow I end up with far too many sin-cos-tan arrangments with Fn, etc, divided by one another).

SO,

Here is my data so far:

Fc (centripetal force) needed to keep car from skidding sideways: 38,993.02326N
Fc provided by just the banking of road (without friction): 15,782.67791N
Magnitude of Normal Force: Unknown
Magnitude of Ff (friction force): Unknown
Static friction coefficient mus: Uknown
Mass of car: 2300kg
Radius: 43m
Ac (centripetal acceleration): 16.95348837m/s2
Velocity: 27m/s
Angle of Incline: 35 degrees

Help would be so greatly appreciated! Sorry to inconvenience anyone, I know the problem is quite extensive! Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can organize your equations better with a free body diagram. Did you draw one for the banked turn? I suggest that you resolve the forces along vertical and horizontal axes in the banked turn case. Note that the vertical component of normal force must be equal to the weight whilst the horizontal component provides the centripetal acceleration required to negotiate the turn.

Likes Delta2
The presence of friction complicates things. I think the system of two equations by resolving forces in horizontal and vertical components are
$$F_N\cos 35-mg-T\sin 35=0$$
$$F_N\sin 35+T\cos 35=F_C$$ where ##F_C## the answer in first question.

WitteVrouw said:
but I keep getting lost with my equations
We can help with that, but only if you show us your working so far.

• Haha
Likes jack action

1. What is a banked curve?

A banked curve is a type of curved track or road where the surface is higher on one side than the other. This allows vehicles to safely navigate the curve at higher speeds, as the angle of the curve helps to counteract the centrifugal force and keep the vehicle on the road.

2. How is the normal force related to a banked curve?

The normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. In a banked curve, the normal force is responsible for providing the necessary centripetal force to keep the vehicle moving along the curve without slipping or sliding off the track.

3. How do you calculate the normal force in a banked curve with friction?

The formula for calculating the normal force in a banked curve with friction is: N = mg + mv2/r - μmgcosθ, where N is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, v is the velocity of the object, r is the radius of the curve, μ is the coefficient of friction, and θ is the angle of the incline.

4. What factors affect the normal force in a banked curve?

The normal force in a banked curve is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the speed at which it is traveling, the radius of the curve, the angle of the incline, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface.

5. How does friction affect the normal force in a banked curve?

The coefficient of friction, represented by μ in the normal force formula, plays a significant role in determining the magnitude of the normal force in a banked curve. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a larger normal force, helping to keep the object on the curve. Conversely, a lower coefficient of friction will result in a smaller normal force, making it easier for the object to slip or slide off the curve.