Banked curve with friction, but no angle

In summary, the conversation discusses a banked curve with a radius of 300m designed for vehicles traveling at 70 mph. The question involves calculating the force exerted by the road and the friction on the tires for a 5512 lb vehicle traveling at 60 mph. The attempt at a solution involves converting units and attempting to find the angle of the banked curve, but ultimately arriving at the correct angle by assuming no friction and using incline plane equations.
puzzledup

Homework Statement

A banked curve has been designed so that it is safest for a vehicle going 70 mph. The topography of the land restricts the radius of the road to 300m. Assume mu(static friction) is 0.80 and mu(kinetic friction) is 0.60.
A 5512 lb vehicle travels with a speed of 60 mph on the curve.
1. Calculate the force that the road exerts on the vehicle.
2. Calculate the friction on the tires.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Centripetal acceleration=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

converted all mph's given to m/s and converted weight in lbs to N.
tried to find the angle by:

v^2/r=Wsinθ

I came up with 19.45 degrees. This just doesn't seem right, that's an awfully steep bank.
The rest I'm stumped about.

Physics news on Phys.org
puzzledup said:
tried to find the angle by:

v^2/r=Wsinθ
How did you arrive at this? Note that the units do not match: The left side is an acceleration, while the right is a force.

I was wrong in that angle. I found the correct angle by assuming no friction, solving the y force for Fn and substituting it in the x force equation. This gave me theta.
Then, after figuring out the x y-axis could be rotated to go with the Fn on the car, solved like any other incline plane problem.

What is a banked curve with friction, but no angle?

A banked curve with friction, but no angle refers to a curved path on which an object or vehicle is moving with a lateral force or acceleration, such as friction, but without any tilting or banking of the surface itself.

How does friction affect a banked curve with no angle?

Friction in a banked curve with no angle helps to maintain the object's or vehicle's motion along the curved path by providing a lateral force that counteracts any tendency to slide or skid off the curve.

What factors affect the amount of friction in a banked curve with no angle?

The amount of friction in a banked curve with no angle is affected by factors such as the surface material, the speed of the object or vehicle, and the shape and weight distribution of the object or vehicle.

What is the relationship between speed and friction in a banked curve with no angle?

The relationship between speed and friction in a banked curve with no angle is direct. As the speed of the object or vehicle increases, the amount of friction needed to maintain its motion along the curved path also increases.

How does a banked curve with no angle differ from a banked curve with an angle?

A banked curve with no angle differs from a banked curve with an angle in that the former does not require any tilting or banking of the surface to maintain the object's or vehicle's motion, while the latter does. Additionally, a banked curve with an angle may require a greater amount of friction to counteract the centripetal force and prevent sliding or skidding.