Basic Linear Alegbra for Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses an example from the book "Quantum Mechanics DeMystified" involving an orthonormal two-dimensional basis and an operator A. The confusion arises from the algebraic operations involving "bra" and "ket" vectors. The confusion is resolved by understanding these vectors as 2-D unit vectors and using basic algebraic operations to simplify the expressions.
Peter Yu
I do not understand a work example in the book: ‘Quantum Mechanics DeMystified”.

On page 212, part of Example 7-5:

Given: Let { |a> |b> } be an orthonormal two-dimensional basis

Let Operator A be given by:

A = |a>< a |- i| a><b |+ i| b><a |- |b><b |

Then: (The following part I do not understand)

A squared = (|a>< a|- i| a><b |+ i| b><a |- |b><b |) (|a>< a |- i| a><b |+ i| b><a |- |b><b |)

=|a>< a|(|a>< a |) + |a>< a|(- i| a><b |)- i| a><b |( i| b><a |) - i| a><b |(- |b><b |)

+ i| b><a |(|a>< a|) + i| b><a |(- i| a><b |)- |b><b |( i| b><a |)- |b><b |(- |b><b |)

= |a>< a|- i| a><b |+|a>< a|+ i| a><b |+|b><b |+ i| b><a |- i| b><a |+|b><b |

= 2|a>< a| + 2|b><b |

Most grateful if someone could help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter Yu said:
I do not understand a work example in the book: ‘Quantum Mechanics DeMystified”.

On page 212, part of Example 7-5:

Given: Let { |a> |b> } be an orthonormal two-dimensional basis

Let Operator A be given by:

A = |a>< a |- i| a><b |+ i| b><a |- |b><b |

Then: (The following part I do not understand)

A squared = (|a>< a|- i| a><b |+ i| b><a |- |b><b |) (|a>< a |- i| a><b |+ i| b><a |- |b><b |)

=|a>< a|(|a>< a |) + |a>< a|(- i| a><b |)- i| a><b |( i| b><a |) - i| a><b |(- |b><b |)

+ i| b><a |(|a>< a|) + i| b><a |(- i| a><b |)- |b><b |( i| b><a |)- |b><b |(- |b><b |)

= |a>< a|- i| a><b |+|a>< a|+ i| a><b |+|b><b |+ i| b><a |- i| b><a |+|b><b |

= 2|a>< a| + 2|b><b |

Most grateful if someone could help!

Which step is confusing you?

You might try to think about the "bra" and "ket" as vectors that make sense to you, for example 2-D unit vectors

I.e. |a> = column vector (1,0); <a| = row vector (1,0); |b> = column vector (0,1); <b| = row vector (0,1)

Things like <a|a> = 1 = <b|b> -- you can see this easily with the vectors above. Also, <a|b> = <b|a> = 0

Thank you for your response.

I am confused by the first step, the every basic Ket - Bra alegbra operation.

For example:

How to do the multiplication of:

|a>< a|(|a>< a |) = ?

|a>< a|( i| b><a |) = ?

I assume i is just √-1? Then:
|a>< a|(|a>< a |) =|a>< a|a>< a | = |a>< a |

|a>< a|( i| b><a |) = i|a>< a| b><a | = 0

i is just a number and numbers be moved to the front, back where ever you find convenient.

Hi Qiao,
Many Many Thanks! I got it now!

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. It is a powerful tool used in various fields of science, including quantum mechanics.

2. Why is linear algebra important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, linear algebra is used to describe the state of a quantum system, as well as the operations and measurements that can be performed on the system. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. What are the basic concepts in linear algebra for quantum mechanics?

The basic concepts in linear algebra for quantum mechanics include vectors, matrices, eigenvectors and eigenvalues, inner products, and operators. These concepts are used to describe the state of a quantum system, the observables, and the evolution of the system.

4. How is linear algebra used in quantum mechanics calculations?

Linear algebra is used in quantum mechanics calculations to represent the state of a quantum system, perform operations on the system, and calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in measurements. It also helps in solving the Schrödinger equation, which describes the evolution of a quantum system over time.

5. Can you give an example of linear algebra in quantum mechanics?

One example of linear algebra in quantum mechanics is the representation of the spin of an electron. The spin of an electron can have two possible states, represented by the vectors |↑⟩ and |↓⟩. These vectors form a basis for the spin state space, and by using linear algebra, we can perform operations on these states and calculate the probabilities of different spin measurements.