1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Motion Graphs (velocity-time)

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1
    Momentum & Net Force Question

Okay, so I got the previous question I asked and I had another new question to ask so rather than make a new topic and seem like I'm spamming the forums, I just decided to edit my original post. I just hope no one replies to my old post while I'm writing this one!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ping-pong ball whose mass is 0.0027 kg (2.7 g) is acted upon by the Earth and the air (there is air resistance, and there is also a strong wind). This table gives the position of the ball at several times:
    Time Position

12.35 s < 3.17, 2.54, -9.38 > m
    12.39 s < 3.25, 2.50, -9.40 > m
    ... ...
    14.35 s < 10.17, -1.16, -10.40 > m
    14.39 s < 10.37, -1.27, -10.42 > m

In the time interval from 12.35 s to 14.35 s, what was the average net force acting on the ball?

2. Relevant equations
    Fnet = P/t where p is momentum and t is time interval
    Fnet = -mg

3. The attempt at a solution

First I get the displacement by subracting the final position vector - initial position vector. I then divide that vector by the time interval (2 seconds) to get the average velocity. I use the formula p = mv to find the momentum.

I rearrange the formula p = fnet( t ) to isolate for fnet
    so fnet = p/t.

However, with this method I do not get the right answer.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2
    Okay, so I got the previous question I asked and I had another new question to ask so rather than make a new topic and seem like I'm spamming the forums, I just decided to edit my original post. I just hope no one replies to my old post while I'm writing this one!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook