1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic question on spivak's calculus

1. Dec 23, 2013 #1
    http://postimg.org/image/lh7ga876t/ [Broken]

Hi, I have a basic question concerning definition of the word 'factorization'. Does Spivak consider factorization as development of factors ? He goes from saying the "factorization" x2−3x+2=(x−1)(x−2) is really a triple use of P9 and goes on showing development.

P9 says : If a,b, and c are any numbers, then : a⋅(b+c)=a⋅b+a⋅c
    Also, when Spivak does the following : (x−1)(x−2)=x(x−2)+(−1)(x−2) does he use any property or just assumes it as like this ? I know whats happening, just curious if there's any justification to it.

Thank you !

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note: Use the X2 icon for exponents (superscripts).

Here's the image you posted:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=65052&stc=1&d=1387849695.jpg
    I suppose Spivak does assume that x-1 is the same as x + (-1) .

Then of course, ##\displaystyle\ (x-1)(a)\ ## is equivalent to ##\displaystyle\ x(a)+(-1)(a)\ ## . Correct? (Assuming we can distribute from the left as well as from the right.)

Then just let ##\displaystyle\ a = (x-2) \ ## .

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Dec 23, 2013 #3
    Yeah, that I understood. The other thing which I don't understand is why does he talk about using P9 to factorize if he's showing the development of factors. How does it make any sense ?thank you!

5. Dec 23, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks like he's using P9 to expand (multiply out) the factorized form, (x-1)(x-2), verifying that it is the correct factorization for x2 - 3x + 2 .

6. Dec 24, 2013 #5
    Yeah, I noticed that. I just was expecting the inverse, the factorization. Anyway, thank you for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted