Basics of Field Extensions .... .... Ireland and Rosen, Ch 12

In summary, Ireland and Rosen state that the norm of an element of a vector space ##L## is the determinant of the matrix ##\mathbf{A}_{L/K}## where ##\mathbf{A}_{L/K}## is the matrix of all linear combinations of the elements of ##L## with coefficients in ##K##.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Kenneth Ireland and Michael Rosen's book, "A Classical Introduction to Modern Number Theory" ... ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 12: Algebraic Number Theory ... ...

I need some help in order to follow a basic result in Section 1: Algebraic Preliminaries ...

The start of Section 1 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=f213dbef8c3f1c4ea8346964041739f2.png

QUESTION 1In the above text by Ireland and Rosen, we read the following:"... ... Suppose ##\alpha_1, \alpha_2, \ ... \ ... \ , \alpha_n## is a basis for ##L/K## and ##\alpha \in L##.

Then ##\alpha \alpha_i = \sum_j a_{ ij } \alpha_j## with ##a_{ ij } \in K## ... ... ""My question is ... ... how do Ireland and Rosen get ##\alpha \alpha_i = \sum_j a_{ ij } \alpha_j ## ... ... ?
My thoughts are as follows ...Given ##L/K##, we have that ##L## is a vector space over ##K##.

... we then let ##\alpha_1, \alpha_2, \ ... \ ... \ , \alpha_n## be a basis for ##L## as a vector space over ##K##

( i take it that that is what I&R mean by "... ... Suppose ##\alpha_1, \alpha_2, \ ... \ ... \ , \alpha_n## is a basis for ##L/K##")... we then let ##\alpha \in L## ... ... then there exist ##a_1, a_2, \ ... \ ... \ , a_n \in K##such that##\alpha = a_1 \alpha_1 + a_2 \alpha_2 + \ ... \ ... \ a_n \alpha_n##so that##\alpha \alpha_i = ( a_1 \alpha_1 + a_2 \alpha_2 + \ ... \ ... \ a_n \alpha_n ) \alpha_i ## ... ... ... (1)... BUT ...

Ireland and Rosen write (see above)##\alpha \alpha_i = \sum_j a_{ ij } \alpha_j####= a_{ i1 } \alpha_1 + a_{ i2 } \alpha_2 + \ ... \ ... \ + a_{ in } \alpha_n## ... ... ... (2)My question is ... how do we get expression (1) equal to (2) ... ...

QUESTION 2In the above text by Ireland and Rosen, we read the following:"... ...The norm of ##\alpha, N_{ L/K } ( \alpha )## is ##\text{ det} (a_{ ij }) ## ... ...I cannot fully understand the process involved in forming the norm ... can someone please explain ... preferably via a simple example ...
Hope someone can help ...Peter

Attachments

• I & R - 12.1 Algebraic Preliminaries ... ....png
    I & R - 12.1 Algebraic Preliminaries ... ....png
    21.1 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In Question 1, we observe that, since ##\alpha_1,...,\alpha_n## form a basis for ##L## as a vector space over ##K##, any element of ##L## can be written as a linear combination of those basis elements, with coefficients in ##K##, that is, as ##\sum_{j=1}^na_j\alpha_j## with ##a_j\in K\forall j##.

Since ##\alpha,\alpha_i## are both in ##L##, which is a field, ##\alpha\alpha_i## must also be in ##L## and hence can be written as such a linear sum. We then just relabel each ##a_j## as ##a_{ij}## and we have the text's formula.

In question 2, note that, given ##\alpha\in L## and a basis ##\alpha_1,...,\alpha_n## for ##L##, each ##\alpha_i## gives us a set of ##n ## coefficients in ##K##: ##a_{i1},...,a_{in}##. Since there are ##n## ##\alpha_i##s, we can put those coefficients in a ##n\times n## matrix and then calculate a determinant of that matrix.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Andrew ... just reflecting on what you have written ...

Peter

1. What is a field extension?

A field extension is a mathematical concept that extends the basic properties of a field to a larger field by adding new elements. This allows for a wider range of mathematical operations and structures to be explored.

2. What are some examples of field extensions?

Examples of field extensions include the field of complex numbers, which extends the field of real numbers, and the field of rational functions, which extends the field of rational numbers.

3. What are the basic properties of field extensions?

The basic properties of field extensions include closure (the result of an operation on two elements is still within the field), commutativity (the order of operations does not change the result), associativity (the grouping of operations does not change the result), and distributivity (operations can be distributed over each other).

4. How are field extensions related to algebraic structures?

Field extensions are a type of algebraic structure, specifically a ring extension. This means that they have both addition and multiplication operations defined and follow certain properties. However, field extensions have the additional property of being a field, which means they also have multiplicative inverses for all nonzero elements.

5. How are field extensions used in mathematics?

Field extensions are used in many areas of mathematics, including abstract algebra, algebraic geometry, and number theory. They help to expand the concepts and structures that can be studied and provide a powerful tool for solving problems and proving theorems.