Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis for the indicated subspace

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    hi guys, i have no idea of how to do the following question, could u give some ideas?

Q:determine whether or not the given set forms a basis for the indicated subspace
    {(1,-1,0),(0,1,-1)}for the subspace of R^3 consisting of all (x,y,z) such that x+y+z=0

how should i start?
    i know the vectors are linearly independent, and then i think i need to show they span. but doesn't it require 3 vectors to prove span in R^3?

or maybe the (x,y,z) such that x+y+z=0 can be used somewhere? I know this will form a plane, but how should i say this?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2

radou

Homework Helper

You are dealing with a subspace of R^3 here. Its dimension is not 3, although this doesn't mean that 3 or more vectors can't span it, of course. What does (-y-z, y, z) = y(-1, 1, 0) + z(-1, 0, 1) tell you about the subspace?

4. Apr 24, 2010 #3
    thanks for reply. I get the last part, but i have trouble to interpret it.

this is what i have done so far:
    because x+y+z=0 so y=-(x+z)
    because the standard basis for R^3 is (1,0,0) (0,1,0) (0,0,1)
    so (x,y,z)=(x,-(x+z),z)=(1,0,0)x-(0,1,0)(x+z)+(0,0,1)z=(1,-1,0)x+(0,-1,1)z
    but the numbers don't match, the question given is (1,-1,0) (0,1,-1), and I get (1,-1,0) (0,-1,1).

also in order to show a basis, we need to show linearly independent and span.
    In this case, how should i prove the set of vectors span the subspace?
    I tried this way, c1(1,-1,0)+c2(0,1,-1)=(u1,u2,u3)
    and i get u1=c1 u2=c2-c1 u3=-c2 can this prove span?

Find really confused on this question, please help

5. Apr 24, 2010 #4
    To show it spans, consider (-y-z, y, z) = y(-1, 1, 0) + z(-1, 0, 1), where y and z are in R. Thus, B = {(-1, 1, 0), (-1, 0, 1)} generates the subspace.

You have your original set A = {(1,-1,0), (0,1,-1)}. How does A relate to B? Can you write elements of B as a linear combination of elements from A?

6. Apr 25, 2010 #5
    Exactly, as my previous post, I consider (x,-(x+z),z)=(1,-1,0)x+(0,-1,1)z which is more obvious that elements of B can be write as a linear combination of elements from A, but the question is how should I link these things into a proof?
    I can't just say because one is the linear combination of another, thus one set spans another, can i.

7. Apr 25, 2010 #6
    Here is my thinking, please help me to finish it, thank you!
    If these two vectors (1,-1,0) and (0,1,-1)will span R^3 then for each u=(u1,u2,u3) in R^3 there must be scalars c1 and c2, so that
    c1(1,-1,0)+c2(0,1,-1)=(u1,u2,u3)
    then i get u1=c1 u2=c2-c1 u3=-c2, which means there will be exactly one solution to the system for each u, so span is proved?
    Then should I related it to the x+y+z=0, to show it satisfy for the given subspace, or what?

Again, thank you for help me out!

8. Apr 25, 2010 #7
    No, your proof does not follow any order. You are asked to check that A is a basis

See what to do in post #4. If B spans X and elements in B are a linear combination of elements of A, then A also spans X.

9. Apr 25, 2010 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, that's pretty much what "spans" means, isn't it?

Because any vector in this subspace can be written as x(1, -1, 0)+ z(0, -1, 1) {(1, -1, 0), (0, -1, 1) spans the given subspace. To prove it is a basis, all you need to do is show that they are independent. Suppose a(1, -1, 0)+ b(0, -1, 1)= (0, 0, 0). What must a and b equal?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook