Basis of a subspace of a vectorspace

In summary, the original question asks if a basis for a subspace W exists that is also a basis for the vector space V. If so, the answer is yes. If not, there exists some v that is not a linear combination of {v[sub]i[/sup]}.
JamesTheBond
Is the basis for the subspace W of a vectorspace V spanned by the basis of the vectorspace V? If so how?

Physics news on Phys.org
JamesTheBond said:
Is the basis for the subspace W of a vectorspace V spanned by the basis of the vectorspace V? If so how?

What exactly do you mean? A basis for V is a span for W.

Arguably it is not, since elements in a basis of V are not in general going to be elements of W. W would certainly be in the span of a basis of V, but that is I would suggest subtley different from them being a spanning set for W.

Anyway, the original question is not very clear. There is no such thing as *the* basis of a vector space. And I don't know what it means for one basis to span a basis of subset.

If you mean: given W<V, and a basis set B for V, does B have a subset that is a basis for W, then the answer is no.

I am sorry, I misworded my question. At any rate, what I wanted to know was a confirmation of basis extension. For W < V, B_W (some basis of W) is linearly independent and spans W, therefore, there exists some B_V (basis of V) s.t. B_W < B_V.

I believe this is the basis extension theorem... not sure.

JamesTheBond said:
For W < V, B_W (some basis of W) is linearly independent and spans W, therefore, there exists some B_V (basis of V) s.t. B_W < B_V.

I believe this is the basis extension theorem... not sure.

I'm not sure what B_W < B_V is supposed to mean, but if you meant that every linearly independent set in a vector space V (and hence a basis of a subspace W, too, since it's a linearly independent set) can be 'extended to the basis' of V, then the answer is yes.

Sorry, I meant to say: for some [tex] B_W \subset B_V [/tex] for some basis of V.

And the answer, as radou said, is "yes".

Let {vi} be a basis for W. If it is also a basis for V we are done. If not, since it is clearly independent, it must not span V- there exist some v which is not a linear combination of {vi[/sup]}. Append v to that set of vectors and show that it is still a set of independent vectors. If it spans V, we are done. If not, repeat.

That works for a finite dimensional vector space. If you are working with an infinite dimensional vector space, you will have to use "transfinite" induction- use Zorn's lemma to prove that any collection of independent vectors in V (i.e. a basis for W) is contained in a basis for V.

here is an example to think about. (1,0)n and (0,1) give a basis of R^2. now consider the subspace where y=x, i.e. the line at 45degrees through the origin. how woulkd you get a basis of that subspace from the given basis of R^2?

mathwonk said:
here is an example to think about. (1,0)n and (0,1) give a basis of R^2. now consider the subspace where y=x, i.e. the line at 45degrees through the origin. how woulkd you get a basis of that subspace from the given basis of R^2?

Interesting but simple question. Since that is a one dimensional subspace and (1,0)+ (0,1)= (1,1) is in the space, {(1,0)+ (0,1)} is a basis for the subspace.

However, in case this confuses any one, the original question asked here was "if you had a basis for that subspace, how would you get a basis for R2 that contained the original basis?" Any basis for the subspace must be of the form {(a,a)} where a is a non-zero number. It is easy to show that (a, -a) is orthogonal to that and so not a multiple. The set {(a, a), (a, -a)} is a basis for R2 containing the original basis for the subspace. Actually, any vector in R2 that is NOT a multiple of (a,a) would work as a second vector in the basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a subspace in a vectorspace?

A subspace in a vectorspace is a subset of the original vectorspace that satisfies the properties of a vectorspace. This means that it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

2. What is the basis of a subspace?

The basis of a subspace is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. This means that any vector in the subspace can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

3. How do you find the basis of a subspace?

To find the basis of a subspace, first find a set of vectors that span the subspace. Then, use the Gaussian elimination method to reduce the set of vectors to a set of linearly independent vectors. These linearly independent vectors are the basis of the subspace.

4. Can a subspace have more than one basis?

Yes, a subspace can have more than one basis. This is because there can be multiple sets of linearly independent vectors that span the same subspace. However, all bases for the same subspace will have the same number of vectors, known as the dimension of the subspace.

5. How is the basis of a subspace related to the dimension of the subspace?

The basis of a subspace and the dimension of the subspace are closely related. The number of vectors in the basis is always equal to the dimension of the subspace. Additionally, any set of linearly independent vectors with the same number of vectors as the dimension of the subspace can be used as a basis for that subspace.