Battery connected to an infinite number of loads in parallel

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
032050
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Okay, so there is a battery with in internal resistance r and voltage of (V). The battery is hooked up to an infinite number (N) of lightbulbs each with resistance R in parallel. The question asks me to find the current going through the first lightbulb...My problem is when I am doing the question I'm out by a factor of N being the number of lights attached.


Homework Equations


V=IR
1/Rparallel=[1/R1+1/R2...]^-1
Rt=Rparallel+r

The Attempt at a Solution


Okay so i know that i can condense all the parallel loads to
Rparallel=(R/N)
then current through the first bulb would be I=V/(r+R/N)
except the solution has the I=1/N[V/(r+R/N)]

I have no idea where that 1/N factor came from, I've tried everything, almost i guess...
Thanks a lot in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
032050 said:
Okay so i know that i can condense all the parallel loads to
Rparallel=(R/N)
OK.
then current through the first bulb would be I=V/(r+R/N)
That's the total current through all the bulbs.
 
If I take 1/N of the total current and say that that is going through the first bulb is that not assuming that the current is evenly distributed to all the loads. whenever I have done questions where the current splits into two directions it hasn't been an even distribution of the current?
 
032050 said:
If I take 1/N of the total current and say that that is going through the first bulb is that not assuming that the current is evenly distributed to all the loads.
Yes.
whenever I have done questions where the current splits into two directions it hasn't been an even distribution of the current?
If each branch is identical--as is the case here--why shouldn't the current split evenly?