Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bayer knowingly sold AIDS contaminated product?

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1
    I don't ever remember hearing anything about this story before, do you? It has been barely making headlines recently because more documents have surfaced.

http://www.pharmalot.com/2008/05/hysteria-over-aids-reduced-bayer-sales/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/06/03/health/main556653.shtml

And it looks like the FDA helped try to cover it up too.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...931A15756C0A9659C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=2

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2008 #2
    in case like that I call it the "black news", because it is not clear.

4. Aug 5, 2008 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, I posted, then deleted my post because I didn't understand the issue. Here it is (from a linked link in the OP)
    I hadn't heard of that problem.

5. Aug 5, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

What part isn't clear? Bayer sold a treatment made from blood collected from high-risk populations (hepatitis and AIDS) and continued to sell the products abroad even after they were forced to suspend sales in the US. This is not a "whoops" or "judgment call" kind of situation.

6. Aug 5, 2008 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Russ, if you deleted a previous comment while I was composing mine, I apologize. This situation is quite well publicized and has been known for many years.

7. Aug 5, 2008 #6
    art of word use back and forth on a single unknown item sold by reporters could pass readers face, poor way of appeasing them

8. Aug 5, 2008 #7

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

To be fair they collected clotting factors made from a general population of blood that they didn't screen for AIDS. It wasn't as if they were harvesting solely from high risk groups. But certainly any decision to sell a product that knowingly ignored the Hippocratic Oath would be a deplorable lapse.

9. Aug 5, 2008 #8
    Yes.

After it was strongly believed that HIV was being transmitted through blood products Cuttler started to worry about their inventory piling up. A Cutter rival also started making a heat treated version which was known kill HIV in the blood product. Cutter was thus unable to sell old product that was not heat treated in the US. They therefore dumped old high risk blood clotting factor to 3rd world countries in Asia and Latin America. They knew knew that they were dumping inferior product to 3rd world countries that had an extremely high chance of being infected with HIV. So did the FDA.

10. Aug 6, 2008 #9
    Things like this makes me rage. This is just plain old naked greed. I really hate people that are this greedy, with no regards to other lives that are being broken.

11. Aug 6, 2008 #10
    bring up the authorities for the responsibility

12. Aug 6, 2008 #11
    Hay guyz, we shud totally keep privatized healthcare. It just makes sense!

13. Aug 6, 2008 #12
    Sorry for a quasi topic hijack, but if you really want to see how screwed up industry is, the lead industry takes the cake. Lead in trace amounts is still in paint and many countries still use leaded fuels. Not to mention the fact that the CDC stated that any level of lead in the blood is not safe. Also, the fact that lead paint is still in federal housing, which is a bigger tragedy, since a well proved correlation between school drop outs and crime has been found among people exposed to lead. Food for thought.

14. Aug 6, 2008 #13

Evo

I don't get your point. You do know that Bayer is a German company, right?

15. Aug 6, 2008 #14

russ_watters

I think he's trying to say that governments never do anything stupid, greedy, or unethical, so such things would never happen in a socialized medical system. Not sure I agree.

In any case, the CDC apparently acted pretty quickly on this issue - it was only the export products that were affected. So socialized medicine couldn't have changed anything (unless, of course, his vision is that all pharma companies would be federalized, exist for Americans only, and there would be no more exporting of drugs).

16. Aug 6, 2008 #15
    Take away the incentive of profit and you'll greatly reduce the risk.

Besides, you should stop being so paranoid, russ. When your mom gave you some Tylenol as a kid, did you immediately have it tested for poison?

How can you trust anybody if you think the government is out to get you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?