BBT's Portrayal of Nerds: Offensive or Accurate?

In summary: I hate that show. Every time I look for new torrents on a site like the pirate bay I always see a highly seeded torrent with the words big bang theory in the title and i get really excited, thinking that someone has made a new science special about the big bang. So, without looking at the description I download it and then find out it's a stupid sitcom. The writing also stinks.The show is funny because it is oh so true :) And of course because Jim Parsons plays Sheldon so brilliantly.I actually rank Big Bang Theory higher than Seinfeld.
Ivan Seeking said:
How about as a PF moderator?

Ban... Ban... Ban... Ban...

Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:

Except when it comes to Jesus discussions. :biggrin:

Season 5 begins! They claim they are going to focus more on the science stuff this season. Let's hope they keep true!

Dembadon said:
Sheldon, in any type of pedagogical role, make for some of my favorite moments. I'd love to see him attempt to teach a course. It would be especially funny if they gave him an introductory physics course. :devil:

I thought I saw him give a lecture in one episode. Maybe the one where he tries to learn acting skills from Penny?

jtbell said:

All we'd have to do to get him to stop is call his mother. :biggrin:

ArcanaNoir said:
I thought I saw him give a lecture in one episode. Maybe the one where he tries to learn acting skills from Penny?

I'll have to look it up--that sounds hilarious.

DaveC426913 said:
That was the first thing I thought of too.

Seemed like an out-of-place comment for Sheldon to make. Almost as if it served more as a portent for plot points yet to come...

Penny is bad at acting, so she said she was going back to Nebraska to teach acting. Sheldon then turns to Leonard asking if he had ever considered teaching physics. The implication is that Leonard is bad at physics.

Here's a couple clips of Sheldon lecturing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to be on Big Bang overload for a while. In addition to the new season 5, one of my local stations has started showing syndicated re-runs of the previous seasons, five nights a week, starting from the beginning. I didn't start watching the show until about the middle of the second season, so the first thirty or so episodes are new to me.

jtbell said:
I'm going to be on Big Bang overload for a while. In addition to the new season 5, one of my local stations has started showing syndicated re-runs of the previous seasons, five nights a week, starting from the beginning. I didn't start watching the show until about the middle of the second season, so the first thirty or so episodes are new to me.

We just got the 4th season on DVD. I only watched a few over the season so most are new to me.

Sooooo, we are currently watching the 4th season on disc, and much to my surprise, in one episode, Sheldon breaks out an Oregon State Beavers shirt while claiming the Beavers are a Cal Tech sports team. Yeah, right! Like Cal Tech has a sports team. Why would they be plugging our own Oregon State? [OSU is my alma mater]

Turns out, Cal Tech really does have the Beavers basketball team and they have the same school colors as OSU. Funny, I lived by Cal Tech for over twenty years and I never once heard of their sports team. :biggrin: I thought maybe they just borrowed an OSU shirt for the show. So much for the secret BBT-OSU connection.

At least we still have Obama's brother-in-law. :smile:

Tonight's episode must have been taped after September 22. Sheldon tried to start a conversation with the subject "Faster-than-light particles at CERN: paradigm-shifting discovery or a Swiss export as full of holes as their cheese?"

I just recently started watching it and I'm hooked.

On TBS starting at 2000 there's two hours of TBBT... switch channels at 2200 and get another half hour before the Simpson's ruin my geek buzz.

Who would have thought that giant ants rank 5th behind hover boards for coolest modes of transportation?

Just discovered this thread. TBBT is the only show I set aside everything for. When we went away for a long weekend recently, I made sure we would be back in time for TBBT. :blushing:
Grep said:
So many great lines... My favorite is the Christmas episode when Sheldon gets the gift from penny. I don't know if I've ever laughed so hard.
That ep is my favorite! To see Sheldon all out of sorts over Leonard Nimoy's DNA on a napkin.. and then to be so affected that he volunteers a hug for Penny.

They've had 3 Star Trek stars on the show so far - I'm betting they've tried for Nimoy and been told no.

After a season of the show, I wondered if Sheldon's character is meant to have Aspbergers, but Parsons himself says no. And I loved the ep where Penny asks the other three "What's his deal?" and they come up with a theory as to how he would reproduce.

Edit: Bazinga!

narrator said:
After a season of the show, I wondered if Sheldon's character is meant to have Aspbergers, but Parsons himself says no.

It's not Parsons that says no, it's the writers. Parsons says, after citing the writers "...but he couldn't show any more of the symptoms."

Just googled Nimoy and TBBT. Some reports say he was asked in season 2 but said no. Then Nimoy himself says he wasn't asked, except to sign that famous napkin, which was later auctioned for charity. But producers are working on having him on for a cameo. The pundits are wondering how they'll get around the restraining order Nimoy has on Sheldon.

Some of my favorite scenes are between Penny and Sheldon.. they seem the perfect foil for each other's lines.

Sheldon: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken
Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.
Penny: What up, Shel-bot?

Last edited:
narrator said:
Some of my favorite scenes are between Penny and Sheldon.. they seem the perfect foil for each other's lines.
Also, Penny is waaay cute.

It's that eyebrow. Makes her look like a cuddly, loveable Golden Retriever - don't it just?

One of my favorites is "The Friendship Algorithm."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0xgjUhEG3U

jtbell said:
One of my favorites is "The Friendship Algorithm."
That, and the way Howard solves his never ending loop.

And yes, Dave, that cute eyebrow, and that grin. Penny is one of those celestial bodies that sparkles brightly.

S_Happens said:
I just recently started watching it and I'm hooked.

Best comedy show there currently is!

Haven't watched it, and wasn't planning on it either. But from the sounds of it, it sounds pretty funny.

"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility."

And Kaley Cuoco is a cutie.

Finally - confirmed! :biggrin:

I can now sit back and watch the show without distraction.

Attachments

• bigbang.jpg
    bigbang.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 453
DaveC426913 said:
Finally - confirmed! :biggrin:

I can now sit back and watch the show without distraction.

lol.. I've been on a couple of sets and taken the steps. One was a cop show, many years ago. At the dead end at the top, the wooden frame was littered with many pieces of chewing gum.

For some reason, this reminded me of once scene in an early season when Sheldon enters Penny's apartment and, seeing her mess, asks if she has been robbed. When she answers "no" he asks, "How can you tell?"

Possibly my favorite tv show. Sheldon is the best. I find myself slowly becoming more and more like him daily. Not afraid of everything but very critical . Anytime he pulls a good Bazinga it's awesome

The April 5 episode featured Stephen Hawking.
Did anyone watch it ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQASFYUJnDk

glb_lub said:
Did anyone watch it ?
I did, but my !&$#!#* Rogers PVR stopped recording 10 seconds before curtain.

glb_lub said:
Did anyone watch it ?

I'm speechless :frown:
(not in a good way)

Thoroughly enjoy this show but it is pretty much the opposite of my long ago fellow physics majors, professors and researchers. For one thing every one of my fellow physics majors, all but one, male, was super smart but very very popular with the ladies (and the single female had an attractive and intelligent boyfriend). All had one or more quite attractive girlfriends and the professors were all married to attractive and intelligent women. So while the concept that the super intelligent academically gifted are socially inept provides great comedy, it's just not generally accurate. The physics majors and researchers back then had a very low opinion of the engineering majors however, and felt that they were socially inept and that the only reason they majored in engineering was because they couldn't make it as a physics major. Humility was obviously not a common trait in that group of physics majors and physicists.

I really loved the laundry feud between Penny and Sheldon. "WELL PLAYED" (And her reminder that she was in junior rodeo and had skills he couldn't possibly defend against. hahaha)

netgypsy said:
So while the concept that the super intelligent academically gifted are socially inept provides great comedy, it's just not [strike]generally accurate[/strike] what I have personally experienced.
Corrected. :-p

netgypsy said:
So while the concept that the super intelligent academically gifted are socially inept provides great comedy, it's just not generally accurate.

I do sometimes enjoy the parts where the social ineptness is showcased. But what I really like about the show is how it captures the 'geekyness' of engineers and scientists with all those references to geek culture - the star trek jokes , Sheldon reserving a night exclusively to play Zork , 3-D chess , firefly vs babylon ,etc.

The episode from yesterday totally blew the physics... Helium makes your voice sound high pitched because the gas is lighter than air, so to make their voices deeper it must be that the gas is heavier than air. So why does the balloon float?

Good catch! I missed that discrepancy. When I saw what Leonard was about to do, I expected the "squeaky voices" outcome, then when the voices came out deeper I figured the gas was really supposed to be something heavy like xenon or krypton. I was so focused on that, that I didn't notice the balloon floating away. A "lead balloon" would have been a nice touch.

Of course, they surely dubbed the altered voices.

jtbell said:
Good catch! I missed that discrepancy. When I saw what Leonard was about to do, I expected the "squeaky voices" outcome, then when the voices came out deeper I figured the gas was really supposed to be something heavy like xenon or krypton. I was so focused on that, that I didn't notice the balloon floating away. A "lead balloon" would have been a nice touch.

Of course, they surely dubbed the altered voices.

The balloon didn't float away, the release of gas shot it upwards. The gas in keyboard dusters lowers your voice.