Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bearings for movement along a rod

1. Aug 11, 2012 #1
    If we wanted the rectangular plate to be able to move slowly up and down on the rods without binding, what would be an appropriate bearing to allow it to move smoothly on the rods?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2012 #2
    Thanks for the suggestion. Simpler than a rolling bearing. Does it have comparable lifetime? The shafts could be aluminum or stainless steel, about 5/16" to 1/2" (8mm-12mm) diameter. There would be a load of approximately 8 kilos sitting on the plate. I could use opposing bearings on either side of the plate, screwed to the plate, a pair on each corner. The plate is moving, the rods are stationary.

4. Aug 13, 2012 #3
    Use something similar to a Danly die set www.danly.com

5. Aug 13, 2012 #4
    Your drawing resembles a press die set, as mentioned by tygerdawg, which use linear bearings or bushings.

A search for "linear bearings" should keep you busy for a while. :smile:

6. Aug 13, 2012 #5
    I second the linear bearings suggestion. Search for this on McMaster Carr or Grainger. I'm sure you'll find what you need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook