Beckham? Nah. I'm cheering for the Dynamos

• Thread starter D H
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the differences between American and UK soccer fans, the game last night, and the popularity of soccer in the US.
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Then again I'm from Houston.

Is anyone else watching? Are my hopes for a Dynamos victory in vain?

Physics news on Phys.org
No US soccer fans here apparently! The Dynamos dodged several bullets in the first half, but it still 0-0. We are sorely missing Davis.

Hmm... my only "interest" in Beckham is that one of my engineering colleagues is his cousin. Yes, really. There's a slight physical resemblance, but their IQs are rather different. And his opinion of Posh Spice is ... well, to avoid libel laws, let's just say it's not very high.

I told myself I was going to watch it, but turns out I am not.

Oh well. Kinda expected that result.

Somehow soccer doesn't appeals to me, its not American kind of sport. Its a gentlemen's game and i would be great happy if it is restricted to those only. American love playing hard hitting and rough tough games. I wouldn't watch football or ice hockey or basketball or baseball without the fights.

leemadison11 said:
American love playing hard hitting and rough tough games. I wouldn't watch football or ice hockey or basketball or baseball without the fights.

No, most Americans love watching other people playing hard hitting and rough tough games.

UK soccer fans enjoy fights too, except they do the fighting themselves, usually outside of the stadium.

leemadison11 said:
Somehow soccer doesn't appeals to me, its not American kind of sport. Its a gentlemen's game and i would be great happy if it is restricted to those only. American love playing hard hitting and rough tough games. I wouldn't watch football or ice hockey or basketball or baseball without the fights.

Did you just call baseball a hard hitting and rough tough game? :rolleyes:

Soccer is a great game. People in America generally don't like it because they do not understand it. If you think soccer has no contact you are crazy... Watch any high level game and pay attention to the shirt grabbing and tugging done when a striker is running side by side to a defender.

The game last night was pretty good. Fitting that Donovan got the only goal and Beckham got the title in his "last" MLS game. I am hoping that the sport gains in popularity in the US. A premier soccer league here would be awesome.

1. What is the meaning behind the phrase "Beckham? Nah. I'm cheering for the Dynamos"?

The phrase refers to soccer player David Beckham and the Houston Dynamos, a professional soccer team. It suggests that the speaker is not a fan of Beckham and instead supports the Dynamos.

2. Who is David Beckham and why is he relevant to this phrase?

David Beckham is a retired English professional soccer player who played for several high-profile teams, including Manchester United and Real Madrid. He also played for the Los Angeles Galaxy in the United States from 2007-2012, which helped popularize soccer in the country. This phrase is a play on his name and his former team, suggesting that the speaker is not a fan of him and instead supports a different team.

3. Why do some people prefer the Dynamos over David Beckham?

Preferences for sports teams are subjective and can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as location, player performance, and personal connections. Some people may simply prefer the Dynamos as a team over David Beckham as an individual player.

4. Is there any scientific or statistical evidence that supports the popularity of the Dynamos over David Beckham?

As a scientist, I cannot speak to the popularity of specific sports teams or players. However, there are various studies and surveys that track the popularity of different sports and teams, which could provide insight into the popularity of the Dynamos and David Beckham.

5. Can you explain the cultural significance of this phrase?

This phrase may not have any significant cultural meaning, but it reflects the passion and rivalry often present in sports. It also highlights the diversity of sports fans and their individual preferences and loyalties.