Angry Citizen said:
The reason normally taught in philosophy is different from that taught in science. Scientific logic is inductive. It seeks to make a generalized point from many data sources. Philosophy seeks to make a focused point from few (if any) data sources, through the use of deduction. In a sense, philosophical reasoning is more akin to mathematical reasoning than to scientific reasoning.
I don't think this is really true. You can't make such a clear distinction between inductive and deductive reasoning in sciences, and I also think there's as much deductive reasoning than there is inductive in them. Sure, when you are trying to push the frontiers of knowledge, you're probably going to be doing more induction than deduction, but in order to form hypotheses that allow for such a push won't come from induction alone. I guess it also depends on what you define as falling under the term "science", but there's lots more deduction than induction in, say, engineering new devices.
On the other hand, you have a lot of inductive reasoning in philosophy, as well. It's been a while since I've taken a formal course in philosophy, but just thinking about, say, Aristotle's Politics or other great works of the Greeks, it's pretty obvious their conclusions of how a state should be were based on induction and not deduction.
I agree that philosophy and (physical, natural) sciences aren't intertwined, because they use logic, but that's just because every single field of study employs logic. No matter what major you choose, you're going to either learn about logic or are going to have to use it without being taught the formalities of it. The extent differs, for sure, but I don't think induction vs. deduction can ever be put as a dividing line between different subjects.