Becoming a Successful College Professor

In summary, it is very unlikely that a non-engineering professor can become an engineering professor, but if you have a MS in Mechanical Engineering and a PhD in Stochastic Systems, you might have a chance. It is important to focus on research excellence and teaching excellence when trying to become a professor, as these are the most important factors in determining success.
Physics_wiz
I'm about to start my graduate life and was wondering if anyone has any experience being a college professor. I know the obvious, publish papers, be good at research, etc... I have no idea how to publish a paper right now, but hopefully I'll learn that in grad school. I noticed that there is extremely tough competition between college professors (my field is engineering), which I didn't expect at all. I thought it would be a nice calm, peaceful job, but I guess I was wrong.

One thing that I really wanted to know is if I can become a professor in a field other than my PhD. Say I have a MS in Mechanical Engineering and a PhD in Stochastic Systems (from an Industrial Engineering department). Can I become a professor in Mechanical Engineering if I show some competence in the area? What if I have a MS in Mechanical Engineering, MS in finance, and a PhD in Stochastic Systems? Can I become a professor in finance (again, if I show competence in that area)? If the answer is yes, what constitutes "showing competence" in an area?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wondered what your definition of successful was, but your questions suggest it is the narrow one of survival, promotion, etc..

for those, publication is the key criterion. but some people who publish a lot, get promoted, and earn high salaries, are not respected by their peers.

other aspects of success are satisfaction with your work, knowledge you are thought highly of by top experts, feelings of having helped people learn and advance as well as oneself, having made an impact on your department through hiring and support of other people.

there is no substitute for hard work, competence, integrity, generosity.

mathwonk said:
but some people who publish a lot, get promoted, and earn high salaries, are not respected by their peers.

Can you explain why you say this? why would they NOT be respected by their peers?

I'm just curious because I would think that they do gain lots of respect for publishing lots and getting promoted :smile:

playboy said:
Can you explain why you say this? why would they NOT be respected by their peers?

Bad personality, refusal to do their fair share of teaching, competitive rather than collaborative are some reasons people with great publication records are not respected by their colleagues. Another possible reason is that they've published a lot, enough to get promoted for tenure, but all their publications are in lousy journals (they say administrators know how to count, not read, when it comes to publications, so quantity can hide lack of quality), or they really don't come up with their own original ideas but steal those of others.

The three things expected of any professor are 1) research excellence, 2) teaching excellence, 3) service to the college or professional organizations (i.e., serving on committees, or organizing a conference). These three criteria are weighted differently depending on the institution and department. For example, a small college might emphasize more teaching and service and have less emphasis on research, while a top research university will emphasize research over the others. The hardest thing to learn along the way is how to juggle all three. It's easy to let anyone of the three turn into a full time job all by itself.

Physics_wiz said:
One thing that I really wanted to know is if I can become a professor in a field other than my PhD. Say I have a MS in Mechanical Engineering and a PhD in Stochastic Systems (from an Industrial Engineering department). Can I become a professor in Mechanical Engineering if I show some competence in the area? What if I have a MS in Mechanical Engineering, MS in finance, and a PhD in Stochastic Systems? Can I become a professor in finance (again, if I show competence in that area)? If the answer is yes, what constitutes "showing competence" in an area?

It's very unlikely, although I hesitate to ever say it's impossible.

But think of it this way... if you had a problem with your toilet, would you call a plumber, or an electrician who had shown some competence with plumbing?

If you focus your stochastic research towards a mechanical engineering application; eg. anything to do with vibration/mass-spring-damper systems, then I'd say it's perfect to having an academic career in ME -- particularly with your MS.

Why would you want to go into finance, if you're interested in engineering?

And, as far as progressing your career quickly, get into your research and start writing papers from your second year of PhD -- this isn't too hard to accomplish in engineering applications.

1. What qualifications do I need to become a college professor?

To become a college professor, you typically need to have a graduate degree in the subject you want to teach. Most universities require at least a master's degree, while others may prefer a doctoral degree. Additionally, you will need to have a strong background in research and teaching experience.

2. How much can I expect to earn as a college professor?

The salary of a college professor can vary depending on the institution, subject area, and level of experience. On average, a college professor in the United States earns around $78,000 per year. However, this can range from $50,000 to over $150,000.

3. What skills are necessary to be a successful college professor?

To be a successful college professor, you will need to have strong communication and presentation skills, as well as the ability to effectively convey complex information to students. You should also have excellent time management and organization skills, and be able to adapt to different learning styles and needs of your students. Additionally, having a passion for teaching and a strong knowledge of your subject area are essential.

4. Is it necessary to have prior teaching experience to become a college professor?

While prior teaching experience is not always required, it is highly beneficial to have some experience in a teaching or mentoring role. This can include serving as a teaching assistant, leading workshops or seminars, or even tutoring. This experience can demonstrate your ability to effectively communicate and engage with students.

5. How can I prepare for a career as a college professor?

To prepare for a career as a college professor, it is important to focus on your academic and research skills. This can include completing a graduate degree in your desired subject area, conducting research, and publishing in academic journals. Additionally, gaining teaching experience and participating in professional development opportunities can also help prepare you for a career as a college professor.