1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beginning a career after grad school

1. Mar 23, 2015 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

Just as the title says, I'm wondering how you gained work after finishing grad school? While any STEM field is relatable, I will have completed my Master of Science in mechanical engineering this December and am wondering what some of you have done to gain employment?

Do you just apply everywhere online, or talk to your school/supervising professor, or something else?

Also, how early did you seriously start seeking employment before graduating?

Thanks so much!

Josh

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2

OldEngr63

Gold Member

I got my first professional job after I finished an MSME (I was 25 at the time). I simply talked to some friends who worked at the place I wanted a job, and the greased the skids for me.

Later, after I had finished a PhD, I taught for a couple of years and then went looking for an industrial job. I was contacted by a head hunter who set me up and away we went. It was never very hard to do.

4. Mar 25, 2015 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Thanks for you insight!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook