Believing Scripture & Pursuing Science: The Bifurcation of the Mind

In summary: However, I do not think that this should extend to string theory. It's a theory, and as long as it meets scientific standards, I do not think that it should be censored.
jimmysnyder said:
Would you say that someone who endorses love is a scientist? Love is not science. Intelligent Design is not science.

I'm not sure that I understand your post correctly.

Yes, I consider someone who uses scientific methodology to increase the body of knowledge on the evolutionary background on or types of biochemical reactions occurring during the events linguistically described as 'love'.

I do not consider someone who uses the romantic description of love in explaining celestial mechanics a scientist because he or she is not using scientific methodology. I would say that someone who denies evolution or biochemistry and tries to promote the romantic version of 'love' instead is not a scientist, that is correct.

If this does not answer your question, can you please clarify it for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Moridin said:
I would say that someone who denies evolution or biochemistry and tries to promote the romantic version of 'love' instead is not a scientist, that is correct.
That answers it pretty good, thanks. I'm not sure what you mean by "deny biochemistry" though.

jimmysnyder said:
You probably answered your own question with those scare quotes.
This is exactly the problem with talking science informally. When we use words like 'see', which are everyday words used outside of their scientific definition, we have to enclose them in quotes when we are describing a well-defined phenomenon that is outside the non-scientific connotation. To a scientist, seeing with photodetector made of organic molecules (and signal transmitters) tuned to be sensitive between about 400 and 700nm is no different than seeing with an x-ray detector made of inorganic materials (and electronic components) that are sensitive to much higher frequencies.

Gokul43201 said:
This is exactly the problem with talking science informally. When we use words like 'see', which are everyday words used outside of their scientific definition, we have to enclose them in quotes when we are describing a well-defined phenomenon that is outside the non-scientific connotation. To a scientist, seeing with photodetector made of organic molecules (and signal transmitters) tuned to be sensitive between about 400 and 700nm is no different than seeing with an x-ray detector made of inorganic materials (and electronic components) that are sensitive to much higher frequencies.
And yet Feynman made a distinction and so do I. I said we probably would never agree on what an observation is.

jimmysnyder said:
And yet Feynman made a distinction and so do I. I said we probably would never agree on what an observation is.

It doesn't follow from this, however, that anything goes, and hence, personal convictions of the existence of God have any place within our assemblage of observations.

I think its refreshing to see scientists that arent stuck in an antireligious mindset, just as it is refreshing to see religious people that arent stuck in an antiscience mindset. The two extremes are equally damaging to science.

jimmysnyder said:
Yikes! Please do not use your interpretation of Feynman's conversation with non-physicists as a reproduction of his scientific definition of an observation. And that too, from a book written for a general audience.

Moreover, if you actually look through a copy of Surely... you'll see immediately that the passage you quoted before is a paraphrase of the portion from the book - it is not a real quote.

PIT2 said:
I think its refreshing to see scientists that arent stuck in an antireligious mindset, just as it is refreshing to see religious people that arent stuck in an antiscience mindset. The two extremes are equally damaging to science.
Do you really think so? I'm curious about specific scientists that are antireligious, who have done as much damage to science as the religious authorities have.

From the trial of Socrates for poisoning the minds of the youth by having them question the traditional Greek gods, to the desecration of Copernicus' grave and persecution of Galileo (and censorship of all scientific work for the next 2 centuries that referenced any of Galileo's results), to the ousting of Leclerk from the Sorbonne, to the slandering of Darwin and Bertrand Russell (to say nothing of all those other scientists like Descartes and Newton who had to keep any works that clearly opposed scripture unpublished, out of fear of persecution), we've know of hundreds of cases where science-opposing religious authorities have caused immense damage to science. Can you provide comparable examples of religion-opposing scientists that have caused "equal" damage?

Gokul43201 said:
Do you really think so? I'm curious about specific scientists that are antireligious, who have done as much damage to science as the religious authorities have.
Yes i think its poison from the inside.

Can you provide comparable examples of religion-opposing scientists that have caused "equal" damage?
The vile treatment of ID is of course a shame on science and any scientist involved in it. I remember a guy was mistreated by some smithsonian people for publishing an article about ID.
Also i think Dawkins and other people whove spoken out against religion and used science as a tool have turned many people against science. Exaggerating the facts also damages the reputation of science. I don't know specific numbers, but I've read that a significant number of people in the USA think evolution is garbage.

And suppose ID is true, and suppose the universe and life were created, who knows how many decades (or centuries) antireligious sentiments have managed to stall scientific progress. We don't have the privilege of hindsight yet.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Yikes! Please do not use your interpretation of Feynman's conversation with non-physicists as a reproduction of his scientific definition of an observation. And that too, from a book written for a general audience.

Moreover, if you actually look through a copy of Surely... you'll see immediately that the passage you quoted before is a paraphrase of the portion from the book - it is not a real quote.
Give me a break Gokul43201, I said where the original could be found. It appears that you read it. Is it not as I indicated? He calls electrons a theory because no one had ever seen one.

If you do an experiment in which electrons hit a scintillation counter and you write up the results for a journal, what do you write:

1. In 1 hour I saw 5 electrons hit the scintillator.

2. In 1 hour I saw 5 flashes in the scintillator.

I argue for the second one. The problem with the first one is that it mixes theory up with fact. Surely no scientist can be faulted for reporting the actual observation.

By reporting that mesosours are observed to be 65 million years old, you may feel that you have put young Earth creationists in their place. Now you can say that they are not criticising theory, they are criticising observed fact. But what have you done to the army of dedicated scientists who worked so diligently to get the real facts and come up with the great theories that honestly went into that number?

I didn't read this thread initially because I don't know what "bifurcation means [ :redface: ], but...
Moonbear said:
I don't know how someone can believe simultaneously that something they are studying is millions of years old, having occurred on a planet they believe is only 10,000 years old. It seems at least a little dishonesty must be involved, either in what he is willing to admit to the public about his beliefs, or in what he is trying to force himself to believe.
I agree.

My boss is a strange bird who holds some very strong religious beliefs, yet somehow manages to be a pretty good engineer. I've learned to avoid discussions with him where this might be an issue, but every now and then one sneaks up on me. He looks for alternatives to Relativity because he doesn't like the Big Bang (no, he doesn't own a gps receiver...), and once he brought a creationist leaflet into the office. Gawd, it was awful - lies, misrepresentations, misdirections - you know, the usual. It is amazing to me how someone who on other subjects appears almost brilliant can have such cognitive dissonance/"doublethink".

I don't really have an answer to your question, but I think (in his case, anyway) it really is just cognitive dissonance and the power of belief. I liken it to Pons & Fleischman of cold fusion - they didn't set out to be frauds, but the power of their desires and beliefs (in themselves, in this case) overrode their scientific sense. Eventually they crossed-over, but that may have been mostly a matter of being trapped by their own mistakes and not being strong enough to break away from them. Bob Park's book "Voodoo Science" discusses where that line is and how it gets crossed. It's a toughie, though.

arildno said:
It doesn't follow from this, however, that anything goes, and hence, personal convictions of the existence of God have any place within our assemblage of observations.
I don't see how you could confuse my statements as implying "anything goes". I am saying the exact opposite. You should not report that you saw something unless you actually saw it. Experience is the yardstick by which to measure. Nothing goes unless it measures up.

PIT2 said:
The vile treatment of ID is of course a shame on science and any scientist involved in it.

Complete horse puckey! There is nothing scientific about ID. The day they can present solid evidence supporting their speculation rather than the "It's just too hard for us to understand the actual evidence" view that they currently argue with is the day they'll earn credibility among scientists.

russ_watters said:
... I don't know what "bifurcation means ...

It means splitting in two. :smile:

The vile treatment of ID is of course a shame on science and any scientist involved in it.

The only point that needs to be made is that ID is not science. Criticisms of the relevance of science are perfectly acceptable, but pretending that something unscientific is scientific is not. ID does not belong in science textbooks and it does not belong in the science classroom. I don't see anything wrong with having it appear in a religion classroom.

Moonbear said:
Complete horse puckey! There is nothing scientific about ID.
Irrelevant. Cooking isn't scientific either, that doesn't justify mistreatment of cooks. I wonder how many people would turn against science when scientists start ridiculing everyone that enjoys cooked meals.

The day they can present solid evidence supporting their speculation rather than the "It's just too hard for us to understand the actual evidence" view that they currently argue with is the day they'll earn credibility among scientists.
Design of life seems to be ruled out by definition in science (not falsifiable or something like that), regardless if its true or not. A scientist saying that ID isn't true because it isn't science, is like a brainsurgeon saying that a leg isn't broken because its not a brain.

PIT2 said:
Irrelevant. Cooking isn't scientific either, that doesn't justify mistreatment of cooks. I wonder how many people would turn against science when scientists start ridiculing everyone that enjoys cooked meals.

Design of life seems to be ruled out by definition in science (not falsifiable or something like that), regardless if its true or not. A scientist saying that ID isn't true because it isn't science, is like a brainsurgeon saying that a leg isn't broken because its not a brain.

Ok present the evidence that implies intelligent design?

verty said:
The only point that needs to be made is that ID is not science. Criticisms of the relevance of science are perfectly acceptable, but pretending that something unscientific is scientific is not. ID does not belong in science textbooks and it does not belong in the science classroom. I don't see anything wrong with having it appear in a religion classroom.
I don't care where its discussed, but it should be discussed without ridicule, and without an air of superiority breathing from peoples mouths.

PIT2 said:
Actually, cooking IS pretty scientific...it's based on a lot of chemistry. There are even people who major in Food Science.

Design of life seems to be ruled out by definition in science (not falsifiable or something like that), regardless if its true or not.
ID proponents only get criticized for that because they try to claim their views ARE science, which they are not, precisely for the reason you identify, that they are not claims that can be tested (not falsifiable).

A scientist saying that ID isn't true because it isn't science, is like a brainsurgeon saying that a leg isn't broken because its not a brain.
Scientists say ID is not science, period. If people want to discuss it in church or religious classes, we have no problem with that, only when they try to teach something that is not based in science in the science classroom have they run into criticism from scientists. Your analogy makes no sense at all. It's more like a brain surgeon saying they can't treat a broken leg because it's not a brain. In other words, it's outside their field, and should be referred to an orthopedic surgeon, just as science and scientists don't deal with intelligent design; it belongs squarely in the realm of religion, not science...outside the field.

Kurdt said:
Ok present the evidence that implies intelligent design?
What it takes for intelligent design to be true is intelligence, but this is very difficult to determine. These links for example describe how even the simplest lifeforms can be considered intelligent, and how they 'genetically engineer' their own genomes:

http://shapiro.bsd.uchicago.edu/genome.html

I think ideas like these are victim of the entrenched positions both sides have put themselves in.

PIT2 said:
What it takes for intelligent design to be true is intelligence, but this is very difficult to determine. These links for example describe how even the simplest lifeforms can be considered intelligent, and how they 'genetically engineer' their own genomes:

You do realize that actually has NOTHING to do with what proponents of Intelligent Design are arguing, don't you? Intelligent Design is just a repackaging of creationism.

PIT2 said:
The vile treatment of ID is of course a shame on science and any scientist involved in it. I remember a guy was mistreated by some smithsonian people for publishing an article about ID.
Not true, and yes I personally know the Smithsonian Chair of Zoology below that the controversy is around. You couldn't find a more reasonable man.

From Panda's thumb

Here at PT, we had little to say about Sternberg's complaint for the simple reason that there wasn't much information to go on, as we pointed out in Sternberg vs. Smithsonian. But that article apparently caught the attention of one of the principals in the dispute, Jonathan Coddington. He responded in the comments, offering a brief statement taking on several of the allegations made in Klinghoffer's article. I will reproduce it here:

Comment #14871

Posted by JAC on February 3, 2005 09:36 AM

Although I do not wish to debate the merits of intelligent design, this forum seems an apt place to correct several factual inaccuracies in the Wall Street Journal's Op Ed article by David Klinghoffer, "The Branding of a Heretic" (Jan. 28, 2005). Because Dr. von Sternberg has filed an official complaint with the U.S. Office of Special Counsel, I cannot comment as fully as I would wish.

1. Dr. von Sternberg is still a Research Associate at the National Museum of Natural History, and continues to have the usual rights and privileges, including space, keys, and 24/7 access. At no time did anyone deny him space, keys or access.

2. He is not an employee of the Smithsonian Institution. His title, "Research Associate," means that for a three year, potentially renewable period he has permission to visit the Museum for the purpose of studying and working with our collections without the staff oversight visitors usually receive.

3. I am, and continue to be, his only "supervisor," although we use the term "sponsor" for Research Associates to avoid personnel/employee connotations. He has had no other since Feb. 1, 2004, nor was he ever "assigned to" or under the "oversight of" anyone else.

4. Well prior to the publication of the Meyer article and my awareness of it, I asked him and another Research Associate to move as part of a larger and unavoidable reorganization of space involving 17 people and 20 offices. He agreed.

5. I offered both individuals new, identical, standard Research Associate work spaces. The other accepted, but Dr. von Sternberg declined and instead requested space in an entirely different part of the Museum, which I provided, and which he currently occupies.

6. As for prejudice on the basis of beliefs or opinions, I repeatedly and consistently emphasized to staff (and to Dr. von Sternberg personally), verbally or in writing, that private beliefs and/or controversial editorial decisions were irrelevant in the workplace, that we would continue to provide full Research Associate benefits to Dr. von Sternberg, that he was an established and respected scientist, and that he would at all times be treated as such.

On behalf of all National Museum of Natural History staff, I would like to assert that we hold the freedoms of religion and belief as dearly as any one. The right to heterodox opinion is particularly important to scientists. Why Dr. von Sternberg chose to represent his interactions with me as he did is mystifying. I can't speak to his interactions with anyone else.

Sincerely yours,
Jonathan Coddington

I have confirmed via email correspondence that Jonathan Coddington at the Smithsonian is the author of the comment posted here at PT.

http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2005/02/a_second_dimens.html

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:
Give me a break Gokul43201, I said where the original could be found.
Sorry, I missed that. My bad.

It appears that you read it. Is it not as I indicated? He calls electrons a theory because no one had ever seen one.
He never actually says that no one has seen an electron, but it is true that he is trying to make the analogy to the theoretical construct. But it is an analogy he was invoking, not a rigorous argument.

If you do an experiment in which electrons hit a scintillation counter and you write up the results for a journal, what do you write:

1. In 1 hour I saw 5 electrons hit the scintillator.

2. In 1 hour I saw 5 flashes in the scintillator.
Neither. I'd write: "In 1 hour, 5 electrons were observed." If this was the 30s or 40s, I'm not sure I'd have used the same words.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Neither. I'd write: "In 1 hour, 5 electrons were observed."
What would you say to an advocate of ID, who claimed that the hand of the designer is observed? After all, they don't really see the hand of the designer, do they?

In physics, an observable is very well-defined. In QM, for instance, it is associated with a hermitian operator. Whatever the area of science, there is a theoretical construct that takes you from the observation to the inference. This theory is rigorously developed, using the scientific method. And it is the repeated experimental verification of the veracity of this theory which allows one today to talk of seeing an electron in much the same way you can talk of seeing a brick, ONLY because the theory behind both kinds of observations has shown itself to be overwhelmingly reliable.

(Side note: you do not actually observe an object. You only observe its properties. The object itself is merely a label attached to a specific set of properties.)

If ID were a theory that had demonstrated predictive ability and testability over a statistically large number of experiments conducted independently under varied conditions, then I'd believe the link between the observation and the inference. It comes nowhere close to satisfying any of these standards.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Not true, and yes I personally know the Smithsonian Chair of Zoology below that the controversy is around. You couldn't find a more reasonable man.
I base my statement on these sources:

Richard Sternberg, editor of a small publication associated with the Smithsonian Institute, agrees to publish a peer-reviewed article by Stephen Meyer, an advocate of Intelligent Design. He thinks "that by putting this on the table, there could be some reasoned discourse." Instead, his "colleagues and supervisors at the Smithsonian" are enraged. They take away Sternberg's master key, ostracize and harass him at work, and spread rumors that that the article was not peer reviewed and that Sternberg is not a scientist. (These rumors are false.) An official review of the matter discloses that "officials at the Smithsonian worked with the National Center for Science Education -- a group that opposes intelligent design -- and outlined 'a strategy to have [Sternberg] investigated and discredited.' "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/18/AR2005081801680.html?sub=AR

U.S. OFFICE OF SPECIAL COUNSEL

I have carefully considered the information you provided. Based upon my evaluation of the facts and law applicable to your claim, I have made a preliminary determination to close our investigation into your allegations. My decision is not based upon the substance of your allegations; in fact, our preliminary investigation supports your complaint. My decision is founded upon a complicated jurisdictional puzzle and your position as a Research Associate (RA).

During our initial investigations, OSC has been able to find support for many of your allegations. However, the SI is now refusing to cooperate with our investigation.

Our preliminary investigation indicates that retaliation came in many forms. It came in the form of attempts to change your working conditions and even proposals to change how the SI retains and deals with future RAs. During the process you were personally investigated and your professional competence was attacked. Misinformation was disseminated throughout the SI and to outside sources. The allegations against you were later determined to be false. It is also clear that a hostile work environment was created with the ultimate goal of forcing you out of the SI.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5007508

http://www.rsternberg.net/OSC_ltr.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
You do realize that actually has NOTHING to do with what proponents of Intelligent Design are arguing, don't you? Intelligent Design is just a repackaging of creationism.
Dont the ID folks specifically point out that ID doesn't mention who or what the intelligence is?

Moonbear said:
Actually, cooking IS pretty scientific...it's based on a lot of chemistry. There are even people who major in Food Science.
Is there any scientific theory about which recipes will taste good? Cooking is about making meals that taste good.
ID proponents only get criticized for that because they try to claim their views ARE science, which they are not, precisely for the reason you identify, that they are not claims that can be tested (not falsifiable).
Thats what the criticism should be about yes, but most of it isnt.

Scientists say ID is not science, period. If people want to discuss it in church or religious classes, we have no problem with that, only when they try to teach something that is not based in science in the science classroom have they run into criticism from scientists.
This is another danger to science i think. Many scientists being so fervently opposed to ID, and science in general refusing to let the idea be considered within science, there is the real possibility that this will damage the reputation of science in the future. The argument against ID (as u pointed out) is not that is isn't true, but that it isn't scientific. When science thus opposes an idea which may very well be true, there is the danger that when it does turn out to be true, science will have the bomb explode in its face.

I think it would be better for science to really look into the possibility of how (parts of) ID can be empirically researched. That way, when it starts looking like its true, science would avoid a "the sun rotates around the earth" scenario.

Your analogy makes no sense at all. It's more like a brain surgeon saying they can't treat a broken leg because it's not a brain. In other words, it's outside their field, and should be referred to an orthopedic surgeon, just as science and scientists don't deal with intelligent design; it belongs squarely in the realm of religion, not science...outside the field.
My analogy hit the nail on the head, except that the brainsurgeon not only denies that the leg is broken, he also ridicules the orthopedic surgeon. Also, when we take the entire hospital as an anology for researching reality, then the orthopedic surgeon has a legitimate role in it, as does the brainsurgeon.

Gokul43201 said:
In physics, an observable is very well-defined. In QM, for instance, it is associated with a hermitian operator.
Please don't confuse obvervable with observation. If you report that you saw the cat dead, then you are mistaken, you did not observe the cat at all. If you report that you saw it alive, same problem. If you report that you saw the cat half dead, half alive, then you reported what the theory told you, not what you actually observed.

I would like to get back to what Feynman wrote because even though it has been many years since I read it, and have long forgotten the exact words, yet the meaning that I took away struck me deeply and I have never forgotten that. I recall that he wrote (not in so many words):
1. Electrons are a theory.
2. No one has seen an electron.
3. Electrons are a theory BECAUSE no one has seen one.

You indicated that you have a copy of the book. What did he actually write? What did he write in the surrounding paragraphs that blunted the force of these words? What did he write for scientific audiences that blunted the force of these words?

Th crux of this whole ID thing is that the theory was put out there with no supporting evidence at all. Proponents of the theory then set about trying to prove the theory true from evidence already collected that supports evolution and natural selection theories. Where this differs from science is that they have proposed a theory with no shred of evidence to support it. They then try to prove that theory using already gathered evidence with pathetic arguments which is not scientific because scientists do not try and prove their theories. Science also differs from ID theory because it was only after empirical evidence was gathered that evolution was proposed to explain that evidence.

You can therefore understand why scientists get a bit annoyed by this. Firstly there are people trying to push a theory that they say is a scientific theory when it is not (has no supporting evidence) and secondly when trying to explain how it can't be called scientific you get staunch illogical resistance. Thirdly the ceaseless publicising of this to the general public and the need to clean up the mess.

PIT2 said:
Dont the ID folks specifically point out that ID doesn't mention who or what the intelligence is?

They are still arguing it is some sort of "supreme being" or god. As I mentioned above, it's just an attempt to bring back creationism, and tries to do so by not specifying which god to try to force it into the public school classroom. It is still religion and still has zero scientific basis.

The person whose site you linked to, if you read what's there, also clearly distinguishes that what he is talking about is not ID. He's actually very critical of it. He's not even arguing against evolution, or making any extraordinary claims. Most of what he's arguing against is the equally dogmatic, and incorrect, presentation of evolution in the classroom as being entirely dependent on random mutations and survival of the fittest, and presents genetic engineering as a mechanism of evolution as an example that departs from traditionally taught mechanisms.

PIT2 said:
Is there any scientific theory about which recipes will taste good? Cooking is about making meals that taste good.
That's your perception of what cooking is about. There is no "theory" on it, but yes, there is study of things like taste reception, the chemistry of how foods will interact, how different ingredients alter palatability, etc. That you don't need to understand the science to follow a recipe doesn't mean there is no scientific study of the subject.

Thats what the criticism should be about yes, but most of it isnt.
No, that is what most of the criticism is about. There are others who have problems with it on a social, not scientific, level as well, but that is not the issue the scientific community, as a whole, has with it.

This is another danger to science i think. Many scientists being so fervently opposed to ID, and science in general refusing to let the idea be considered within science, there is the real possibility that this will damage the reputation of science in the future. The argument against ID (as u pointed out) is not that is isn't true, but that it isn't scientific. When science thus opposes an idea which may very well be true, there is the danger that when it does turn out to be true, science will have the bomb explode in its face.
The burden of proof is on those who are proposing the "theory." When they can provide solid evidence supporting their claims, they will be listened to. If they continue to base their claims on what is NOT observed, and ignore all the existing evidence to the contrary, then it is NOT science.

I think it would be better for science to really look into the possibility of how (parts of) ID can be empirically researched. That way, when it starts looking like its true, science would avoid a "the sun rotates around the earth" scenario.
You're again making an assumption there that it will be true. When those who are proposing ID present the experiments or show how it can be empirically researched, again, scientists will be interested to hear it. They have not provided anything testable as yet.

My analogy hit the nail on the head, except that the brainsurgeon not only denies that the leg is broken, he also ridicules the orthopedic surgeon. Also, when we take the entire hospital as an anology for researching reality, then the orthopedic surgeon has a legitimate role in it, as does the brainsurgeon.

If you want to make up completely nonsense analogies, then here is the analogy of what ID is...it would be the preacher coming in and looking at the patient with the broken leg and telling him that because we didn't see him fall, his leg isn't broken, and when the doctor points out the fracture on the x-ray, he would argue that's just a deception of the creator making it look like it's broken when it isn't.

Moonbear said:
They are still arguing it is some sort of "supreme being" or god. As I mentioned above, it's just an attempt to bring back creationism, and tries to do so by not specifying which god to try to force it into the public school classroom. It is still religion and still has zero scientific basis.
Ive read many times that ID itself does not state who or what the intelligence is, that it simply speaks of 'intelligence'. But in the end it doesn't matter if the proponents think its god or a supreme being, and it doesn't matter if people think its not scientific. What matters is if its true or not.

The person whose site you linked to, if you read what's there, also clearly distinguishes that what he is talking about is not ID. He's actually very critical of it.
If someone says that the simplest lifeforms are intelligent and can genetically engineer their genomes, then that is a form of intelligent design. Its just not a supernatural god doing it.

Btw i didnt mention him as an ID proponent, but as someone whose ideas could get stuck between the two extremes.

Moonbear said:
That's your perception of what cooking is about. There is no "theory" on it, but yes, there is study of things like taste reception, the chemistry of how foods will interact, how different ingredients alter palatability, etc. That you don't need to understand the science to follow a recipe doesn't mean there is no scientific study of the subject.
There is scientific study of religion also, so what? My point was that when people say they can cook a fabulous meal, they shouldn't be ridiculed because its not a scientific theory.

The burden of proof is on those who are proposing the "theory." When they can provide solid evidence supporting their claims, they will be listened to. If they continue to base their claims on what is NOT observed, and ignore all the existing evidence to the contrary, then it is NOT science.
The opposite is equally true. If evolutionists managed to show that neodarwinism is capable of what they claim it is capable of, and back it up with empirical evidence instead of philosophical possibilities, then the ID folks will not have a foot left to stand on.

You're again making an assumption there that it will be true. When those who are proposing ID present the experiments or show how it can be empirically researched, again, scientists will be interested to hear it. They have not provided anything testable as yet.
Actually, no, i didnt make an assumption, i simply stated the fact that it was a possibility.

If you want to make up completely nonsense analogies, then here is the analogy of what ID is...it would be the preacher coming in and looking at the patient with the broken leg and telling him that because we didn't see him fall, his leg isn't broken, and when the doctor points out the fracture on the x-ray, he would argue that's just a deception of the creator making it look like it's broken when it isn't.
What about this one: a person is shot 20 times. Each bullet has hit a finger or toe. The preacher looks at the patient and says that he was purposely shot. The doctor says that they were just random shots fired by a chaingun that went off by itself.