Belleville spring characteristics on clutch actuation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a belleville spring in a clutch mechanism. The graph attached shows the displacement and force of the mechanism, with different patterns for new and old clutches. The behavior of the belleville spring is described as potentially strange but can be understood through testing and analysis. It is also mentioned that the number and orientation of the springs in the system can affect its behavior. The speaker has not yet seen the arrangement of the springs and only has the graph as reference. They request further explanation for the observed behavior.
k.udhay
Hi,

I have been working on designing something for a clutch. The clutch plate is pressed against the pressure plate using a belleville spring. The belleville spring is connected to the clutch pedal using a linkage with leverage. I came across a graph that describes the displacement of the linkage (this value divided by leverage will give the clutch plate movement) and the force at the linkage at that point. The graph is attached.

As you can see, the mechanism needs totally a different pattern of forces to displace the clutch between new and old. Especially when the clutch is new, the curve is flat at some place and climbs up again. For an old clutch condition there is no flat portion as such and there is a drop of force after a displacement of 12 mm.

Can someone pl explain why this happens? Thanks.

Attachments

• fz7ujp.jpg
    fz7ujp.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 999
Engineering news on Phys.org
Man this is confusing, are you saying your using a belleville spring against the belleville spring already on the pressure plate?

I've done a lot of work with Belleville spring washers, but never in a clutch. I'm at a loss to explain this behavior, but it does not surprise me. Belleville springs are prone to doing things that seem strange at first, but can eventually be understood after testing and analyzing the system as a whole. One spring can behave much differently from another. Some have maximum force at full deflection, whereas others switch to zero force at full deflection.

I would also like to know how many springs you have in the system and how they are orientated with respect to each other. It is common to use more than one, and it matters how you stack them.

kazx9r said:
Man this is confusing, are you saying your using a belleville spring against the belleville spring already on the pressure plate?

No... The pressure plate is operated by a belleville spring. A mechanism with some leverage actuates the pressure plate. The graph shows the force and displacement on the mechanism to operate the belleville spring...

Thanks.

Pkruse said:
I've done a lot of work with Belleville spring washers, but never in a clutch. I'm at a loss to explain this behavior, but it does not surprise me. Belleville springs are prone to doing things that seem strange at first, but can eventually be understood after testing and analyzing the system as a whole. One spring can behave much differently from another. Some have maximum force at full deflection, whereas others switch to zero force at full deflection.

I would also like to know how many springs you have in the system and how they are orientated with respect to each other. It is common to use more than one, and it matters how you stack them.

Hi. Thanks for the answer. It has only one spring I think. I actually haven't seen the arrangement yet. The graph was handed-over to me and nothing else... :frown:

1. What is a Belleville spring?

A Belleville spring, also known as a conical spring or disc spring, is a type of spring that is shaped like a cone or disc. It is commonly used in mechanical assemblies to provide tension or compression force.

2. How does a Belleville spring work in clutch actuation?

In clutch actuation, the Belleville spring is used to provide the necessary force to engage and disengage the clutch. When the clutch pedal is pressed, the Belleville spring is compressed, creating tension that allows the clutch to be engaged. When the pedal is released, the tension is released, disengaging the clutch.

3. What are the main characteristics of Belleville springs?

The main characteristics of Belleville springs include their high load capacity, excellent fatigue resistance, and high spring force relative to their size. They also have a low profile and are easy to install, making them popular in various applications.

4. Can Belleville springs be customized for specific clutch actuation needs?

Yes, Belleville springs can be customized for specific clutch actuation needs. The dimensions, material, and force requirements can be tailored to suit the specific application. This allows for optimal performance and durability in the clutch actuation system.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Belleville springs in clutch actuation?

One potential limitation of using Belleville springs in clutch actuation is their relatively short travel distance. This means they may not be suitable for applications that require a longer distance between the engaged and disengaged positions. Additionally, they may require frequent replacement due to fatigue, depending on the load and frequency of use in the clutch system.