Benefits of a sandwich year BEng (hopefully MEng)

• Thread starter sketch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans to transfer from the Open University to a traditional university for their engineering degree. They mention the possibility of completing a sandwich year for work experience, but express concern about their age and lack of paid engineering experience. The advice given is to choose a university with an applied research lab, which may offer part-time engineering work for students.
sketch
I have been studying with the Open University towards a BEng and am hoping to transfer to a 'bricks and mortar' university for September following some very god marks - if I continue to do as well as I have been I would hopefully be able to continue on and turn my degree into an MEng. I am studying mechanical engineering.

I'm in my mid 30s and have lots of work experience though I've never had any sort of paid work in engineering. I am well aware that doing a sandwich year can be extremely helpful for getting experience and proving yourself in a real world setting as an engineer, but I'm no spring chicken and it's not like I'm a school leaver who has never had a job at all...

So what should I do? AFAICS you have to decide now when you are applying.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pick a university with an applied research lab. They may hire students part time to do eng work. Cheap labor.

What is a sandwich year BEng (hopefully MEng)?

A sandwich year BEng (hopefully MEng) is a degree program where students take a year-long break from their studies to gain practical work experience in their field of engineering. This can be done between the third and fourth year of their degree.

What are the benefits of a sandwich year BEng (hopefully MEng)?

There are several benefits to taking a sandwich year BEng (hopefully MEng). Firstly, it provides students with hands-on experience in their field, which can make them more employable after graduation. It also allows students to apply the theoretical knowledge they have learned in a real-world setting. Additionally, students can make valuable industry connections and gain insights into different career paths.

Will taking a sandwich year BEng (hopefully MEng) delay my graduation?

No, a sandwich year BEng (hopefully MEng) is designed to be integrated into the degree program without delaying graduation. Students typically return to complete their final year of study after their year of work experience.

Do all universities offer a sandwich year BEng (hopefully MEng) option?

No, not all universities offer a sandwich year BEng (hopefully MEng) option. It is important to research and carefully select universities that offer this program if it is something you are interested in.

Can I choose where to do my sandwich year BEng (hopefully MEng) placement?

Yes, students are often given the opportunity to choose where they do their sandwich year BEng (hopefully MEng) placement. This allows students to find a placement that aligns with their interests and career goals. However, the university may also have partnerships with certain companies or organizations for placements.