Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Benefits of a sandwich year BEng (hopefully MEng)

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1
    I have been studying with the Open University towards a BEng and am hoping to transfer to a 'bricks and mortar' university for September following some very god marks - if I continue to do as well as I have been I would hopefully be able to continue on and turn my degree into an MEng. I am studying mechanical engineering.

I'm in my mid 30s and have lots of work experience though I've never had any sort of paid work in engineering. I am well aware that doing a sandwich year can be extremely helpful for getting experience and proving yourself in a real world setting as an engineer, but I'm no spring chicken and it's not like I'm a school leaver who has never had a job at all...

So what should I do? AFAICS you have to decide now when you are applying.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Pick a university with an applied research lab. They may hire students part time to do eng work. Cheap labor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook