Choosing Between MEng and MSc: Factors to Consider for Your Graduate Studies

• Thread starter vaiouser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Msc
In summary, an MSc may be beneficial if the area it is in is related to the job you are applying for. However, an MEng degree may be cheaper and more useful if you want to pursue a more broad career.
vaiouser
Hello everyone I was hoping I could get some help in making a decision between MEng or MSc. My third year starts from next week and I have recently transferred from BEng to MEng but I am still not sure if I want to do MEng. I have done some research and found out that MSc is more specialized towards a particular topic, which is why I think MSc is better than MEng. But if I continue doing MEng at my current University it would mean that I have to pay less fees and I could also apply for students loan. However if I decide to do MSc then it would mean that I have to change my University, I am aiming for Cranfield, which is better than my current University but this would mean that I have pay around £9000 for the tuition fees + living cost on my own.
What do you guys think is the better option? What do you think is better? MSc or MEng? I would say one of the reason why I am not entirely convinced with doing MEng at my current University is that I could go to a better University next year to do MSc, provided I get the right grades.
Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it makes little difference to employers if that's what you're concerned about.

An MSc may be beneficial if the area it is in is related to the job you are applying for.

The fee's dilema must be a pain, I couldn't advise you either way. Maybe, I would say to do the MEng unless you find an MSc that really interests you.

Good luck

An MSc usually requires writing a thesis, whereas the MEng degree may only require a small project. From my own experience pursuing an MSc, I will say that the research was by far the most difficult part, but it was also the most rewarding. The choice depends on your preference and which degree you think will be most beneficial to you personally.

Keep in mind the distinction between the two degrees differs depending on what part of the world you are in. I am not familiar enough with the standards in the UK to give you a good answer, but keep this fact in min when sifting through responses you get.

Smed said:
An MSc usually requires writing a thesis, whereas the MEng degree may only require a small project. From my own experience pursuing an MSc, I will say that the research was by far the most difficult part, but it was also the most rewarding. The choice depends on your preference and which degree you think will be most beneficial to you personally.

That's a good point I forgot to mention.

Which is odd considering I'm in the middle of writing my MSc thesis.

I can't necessarily say I have any good evidence to back this up, but A Meng. should be more broad, and thus more useful to employers in various situations. I would choose MEng. for this reason, especially with the extra fees that apply if you go towards an MSci.

Agree with X89.

I have MEng, chose not to pursue MS because that particular university wanted to make MS students applied mathematicians more than advanced-studied engineers.

Going broad has served me well in my career, kept me nimble and for the most part employed and employable. The MS would have been necessary if I chose to pursue Ph.D. (never!) but otherwise would have put a narrow restriction on me.

Employers usually don't care, certainly the weasels in the HR department don't have any idea.

Do the MEng. It's cheaper and many MSc degrees are not accredited, whereas almost all MEng degrees are.

Thank you very much for your replies guys. I very much appreciate you taking time to help me with this silly situation. Although I am not entirely sure, I think I will stick to MEng for now.

I think this is a question I should rather ask my University but say after the completion of my third year of MEng next year I say to my University "ok I don't want to do my final year of MEng so can you give me a certificate to say that I have completed a BEng" and then I go to do a MSc from a different and perhaps better University.

That's essentially the same question, just worded differently.

What university are you at now? Why did you go there if you don't think it's good enough? What are your pre-university grades?

The last question is actually quite important because many companies nowadays have a minimum UCAS points tariff, and if you're at a "not so good" university you're probably there because you didn't do so well at secondary school/college and don't have many UCAS points. So you may end up paying thousands of pounds for a masters only to be rejected from many jobs, regardless of how well you've performed at university (both under and postgraduate), because your A-levels or equivalent weren't good enough. Something to consider.

1. What is the difference between an MEng and an MSc degree?

An MEng (Master of Engineering) degree is a professional degree that focuses on the practical application of engineering principles. It is typically a more structured program with a strong emphasis on hands-on experience and project-based learning. On the other hand, an MSc (Master of Science) degree is a research-oriented degree that emphasizes theoretical and academic study. It is more suited for students who want to pursue a career in research or academia.

2. Which degree is more beneficial for career advancement?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. An MEng degree may be more beneficial for those looking to enter the industry and work on practical engineering projects, while an MSc degree may be more beneficial for those interested in pursuing a career in research or academia. Both degrees are highly valued in the job market and can lead to successful careers.

3. Can I switch from an MEng to an MSc or vice versa?

It is possible to switch from an MEng to an MSc or vice versa, but it may require additional coursework or meeting certain requirements. It is important to carefully consider your options and consult with your academic advisor before making a decision.

4. Are there any differences in the curriculum between an MEng and an MSc program?

Yes, there are differences in the curriculum between an MEng and an MSc program. MEng programs typically have a more structured curriculum with a focus on practical skills and project-based learning, while MSc programs have a more flexible curriculum with a focus on research and academic study. However, both degrees cover similar core concepts and may offer elective courses to tailor the program to your interests.

5. Which degree is more time-consuming, MEng or MSc?

Both degrees require a significant time commitment, but an MSc program may be more time-consuming due to the research and thesis requirements. An MEng program may require more practical work and project-based learning, which can also be time-consuming. Ultimately, the workload and time required for each degree will depend on the specific program and your own individual study habits.