Best colour to make paint UV resistant

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of repainting windows and how to reduce UV damage to the binder in the paint. The person is looking for ways to block UV using pigments or additives in order to improve the longevity of the paint. They are specifically looking for alternatives to titanium dioxide and considering using marble powder. It is suggested that using outdoor or weatherproof paint would help with UV protection.
Puma
Hi I am looking to repaint my windows. I've noticed that black paint lasts very well generally. I don't really want my windows black. Is there anyway I can reduce uv damage to the binder in the paint by adding some UV blocking colour? I've googled UV blocking pigments but it doesn't seem to come up with anything. Is there some binder I could use which isn't quite so UV absorbing? Also is it worth replacing titanium dioxide with marble powder?

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I believe it is just a matter of using outdoor or weatherproof paint. UV is in the suite of things such a paint has to deal with.

When you say you are going to repaint the windows, do you mean the frames? Or tinting the glass? The glass itself ought to be absorbing UV, but that won't effect the outer frame or paint on the exterior surface of the glass.

Black color is a matter of pigment, not of the binder.

Yes I am painting the frames of wooden windows with exterior paint. The binders in the modern formulations are not lasting that long, and it's very time consuming to paint them every 3 years or so, hence the reason for my looking to improve the longevity of the paint.

I know Borek, you didn't get me for some reason. I want to block the UV as much as possible as it breaks down the binder. I was wondering what pigments / additives would be good for blocking.

1. What makes a paint UV resistant?

UV resistance in paint is typically achieved by adding special additives or pigments that absorb or reflect UV radiation. These additives act as a barrier, preventing UV light from reaching the underlying layers of the paint and causing damage.

2. Are certain colors more UV resistant than others?

Yes, certain colors are more UV resistant than others. Darker colors tend to have more UV resistance because they contain more pigment, which can absorb UV light. White and light colors, on the other hand, may be less UV resistant because they reflect more light and have less pigment to absorb UV radiation.

3. How can I test the UV resistance of a paint?

The best way to test the UV resistance of a paint is to expose it to natural sunlight for an extended period of time and observe any changes in color or deterioration. Additionally, some paint manufacturers may provide information or certifications on the UV resistance of their products.

4. Can I make any color UV resistant?

In general, any color can be made UV resistant by adding the appropriate additives or pigments. However, some colors may require more additives or a higher concentration of pigments to achieve the desired level of UV resistance.

5. Is there a specific type of paint that is more UV resistant?

There are various types of paint that offer different levels of UV resistance. For example, acrylic and oil-based paints tend to be more UV resistant than water-based paints. It is important to consult with a paint expert or read product labels to determine the UV resistance of a specific type of paint.