Best course of action for admission.

In summary, the speaker is interested in engineering, specifically aerospace, but is unsure about their ability to succeed due to a lack of interest in math. They are seeking advice on how to prepare for a university engineering program and are considering taking community college courses or online math programs before enrolling. The suggestion is made to use ALEKS precalc as a way to assess and improve their math skills before starting college.
Sivis1873
Hello, I have been reading through the forum recently and just made an account. This seems like a very helpful community of like-minded people! I'm interested in engineering, specifically aerospace thus far but of course I have not ruled out any field. I'm interested in a lot of things although aerospace has my attention. I don't have any major concerns regarding my ability to succeed the course although, for my specific situation I feel that it would be wise to consult some people that know much more than myself. I've never really had a great interest in math in a classroom setting, I really only enjoy learning new things that I'm interested in and in my past during high school I really wasn't interested in anything involving algebra or calculus although I did enjoy geometry. My question is, not knowing too much about advanced mathematics and what I might find in an aerospace career, what should I do first before I enroll in a university or take my SAT for admission? Should I pick up some community college courses? Take some online math programs? I would hate to get to university and enroll in an engineering program just to find out that I am horribly unprepared and could have easily avoided the problem by waiting a year or so and studying my ass off. Thanks a lot, I appreciate any future input!

Physics news on Phys.org
ALEKS precalc is the gateway to college math and engineering.

I agree that going through ALEKS is (for you) the best way to assess and refine your knowledge.

What factors should I consider when deciding on the best course of action for admission?

When considering the best course of action for admission, it's important to take into account factors such as your academic qualifications, personal interests, career goals, financial situation, and the reputation and resources of the institution.

Should I apply to multiple schools or focus on one for my best chance of admission?

This ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. If you have a specific school or program in mind that aligns with your interests and qualifications, it may be best to focus on that one. However, applying to multiple schools can increase your chances of acceptance and give you more options to choose from.

How can I make my application stand out to increase my chances of admission?

Applicants can make their application stand out by highlighting their unique strengths, experiences, and achievements. This could include relevant research or work experience, extracurricular activities, strong letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement.

What if I don't meet all of the admission requirements for my desired program?

If you don't meet all of the admission requirements, it's important to first determine if there are any alternative paths to admission, such as completing prerequisite courses or taking a standardized test. Additionally, you can reach out to the admissions office to discuss your situation and see if there are any options available to you.

What resources are available to help me make the best decision for my admission?

There are many resources available to help you make the best decision for your admission. These may include talking to current students or alumni, attending information sessions or virtual tours, consulting with academic advisors or mentors, and researching the institution's website and other online resources.