Best free online calculus course for physics self-learners?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of establishing an online community for self-teaching physics in a flipped classroom format, without the traditional academic structure of exams and certifications. The focus is on finding the best free online courses and textbooks, with the MIT calculus course by Gilbert Strang being mentioned as a potential option. The conversation also mentions other sources such as the AMS open math notes repository and a forum for textbook recommendations.
Marco Masi
I'm wondering if and how to establish an online community of people who would like to self-teach physics from the bottom-up without direct involvement in academic institutions. The idea is to structure it in a flipped teaching classroom format where students first follow a video course and/or textbook at home and then, if they would like to do so, can discuss it together with a 'mentor' and others (online or in a brick and mortar structure). Instead of exams, grades and certificates there would be a competence-portfolio based activity. Yes, I know it sounds weird and is only a futuristic vision, and it is not what, at this stage, I'm asking to consider here (I already have my Ph.D. in physics). I mention this only to explain the context.

So, first of all what is necessary is to collect the best free online courses and textbooks with which one can begin with. The first in the line I'm looking for is the calculus course. For example I found the calculus MITcourse of Gilbert Strang (https://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-18-001-calculus-online-textbook-spring-2005/textbook/). It looks like a full calculus course suitable for physics. But it is just a first look impression and, as everyone knows after some experience in academia, what is the 'best' course or textbook is pretty subjective. So, I'm open also to other alternatives. Any other suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the best free online calculus course for physics self-learners?

The best free online calculus course for physics self-learners is subjective and may vary depending on individual learning styles and preferences. However, some popular options include MIT OpenCourseWare's "Single Variable Calculus" and Khan Academy's "AP Calculus AB" course.

2. What topics are covered in a calculus course for physics self-learners?

A calculus course for physics self-learners typically covers topics such as derivatives, integrals, limits, and applications of calculus in physics, such as kinematics and dynamics. It may also include topics such as multivariable calculus and vector calculus.

3. Do I need prior knowledge of calculus to take a physics self-learning course?

While having a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry can be helpful, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of calculus to take a physics self-learning course. Many online courses provide resources and materials for beginners to learn the necessary mathematical concepts.

4. Are there any assignments or assessments in a free online calculus course for physics self-learners?

This can vary depending on the course, but many free online calculus courses for physics self-learners do include assignments, quizzes, and exams to assess understanding and progress. These may be in the form of practice problems, online quizzes, or written assignments.

5. Can I receive a certificate or credit for completing a free online calculus course for physics self-learners?

Again, this can vary depending on the course provider. Some online courses do offer certificates of completion, while others may provide the option to receive college credit or transfer the course credits to a university. It is important to research the course and provider beforehand to see if these options are available.