Best Practices and Preparations for a super-intense courseload

• Thread starter H2Bro
  • Start date
In summary, this person is planning on doing a month or two of full time preparation this summer to really gear up for their upcoming academic year. They are 24 years old and have rock solid study habits. They are looking to do a month or two of full time preparation this summer to really gear up. Their courseload is quite heavy, 6 full courses of math, physics, chemistry, and computer science. They are looking to do a month or two of full time preparation this summer to really gear up. Their courseload is quite heavy, 6 full courses of math, physics, chemistry, and computer science.
H2Bro
I'm looking to solicit advice on general studying tips, habits, and preparations for the upcoming academic year. My courseload is quite heavy, 6 full courses of math, physics, chemistry, and computer science. I am looking to do a month or two of full time preparation this summer to really gear up. It's been a while since I've done a lot of math, but I have kept up with some programming and doing the occasional math problem / lots of mental math. I'm 24, I have rock solid study habits and don't go for distractions like partying / tv / alcohol etc.

As it stands I had thought to try to review differential calculus and statistics, and try to get into some introductory integrals and matrix operations. Any other advice / tips on material to go over prior to the start? Also, is this a feasible courseload?

Here it is in a nutshell:
Term One:
-Chemistry with applications to physical sciences
-Engineering computer graphics
-Differential calculus for the physical sciences
-Introduction to programs, programming, and comp sci
-Statistics and Probability Intro
-Physics 101 - waves, fluids, oscillators

Term Two:
-Integral calculus for the physical sciences
-Models of computation
-Introduction to computer science (not yet sure what the diff between this and the term1 is)
-Matrix Algebra
-phys 102 - introduction to light, optics, em
-Introductory physics lab
-

Physics news on Phys.org
Follow up question:

Is it a bad idea to take matrix algebra without having done differential calculus first? Also, how about integral calculus?

Essentially, no. Many universities suggest Calculus before Linear (Matrix) Algebra so that the student has a better "feel" for pure math. Given that you're planning taking more of an applications-based calculus class, I don't know that taking it beforehand will make a difference. One thing to check is if your class covers matrices applied to systems of differential equations, in which case calculus knowledge would be necessary.

H2Bro said:
Follow up question:

Is it a bad idea to take matrix algebra without having done differential calculus first? Also, how about integral calculus?

It depends on the school. At my school, the complete calculus sequence is a prerequisite for linear algebra. A person who does not have a solid grasp on integration by parts, for instance, could not do what we do with vector product spaces. Also, a passing knowledge of differential equations is needed for some parts of the course. The ability to take derivatives is assumed throughout.

No labs that first semester? It's doable, maybe. You're going to have lots of work to do and (likely) not enough time to do it. Regardless, do *not* short yourself on sleep. Being sleep deprived makes learning more difficult. Then you get into a bad feedback loop: you need even more time to learn, so you cut back more on sleep, which makes it even harder to learn...this ends badly.

It will be hard to fit it in, but try to exercise daily.

Since it's been a while since you've taken a math class, be sure you are solid with algebra and trig.

If you can, minimize distractions like friends/family who have lots of drama in their lives and will want to suck you in.

Good luck :smile:!

1. What are some good best practices for managing a super-intense courseload?

Some good best practices for managing a super-intense courseload include creating a schedule and sticking to it, breaking down tasks into smaller chunks, prioritizing tasks based on deadlines and importance, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and taking breaks to avoid burnout.

2. How can I prepare for a super-intense courseload before the semester starts?

To prepare for a super-intense courseload before the semester starts, you can familiarize yourself with the course syllabi and required materials, set up a designated study space and organize your study materials, and brush up on any prerequisite knowledge or skills that may be necessary for the courses.

3. Is it important to have good time management skills for a super-intense courseload?

Yes, having good time management skills is crucial for successfully managing a super-intense courseload. This includes setting realistic goals and deadlines, prioritizing tasks, and avoiding procrastination.

4. How can I avoid feeling overwhelmed with a super-intense courseload?

To avoid feeling overwhelmed with a super-intense courseload, it is important to take breaks and practice self-care, seek help from professors or peers when needed, stay organized and on top of deadlines, and maintain a positive attitude.

5. What are some warning signs that I may be taking on too much with a super-intense courseload?

Some warning signs that you may be taking on too much with a super-intense courseload include feeling constantly stressed or overwhelmed, experiencing difficulty completing tasks or meeting deadlines, neglecting self-care, and experiencing a decline in academic performance. If you notice these signs, it may be necessary to reevaluate your course load and seek support from a counselor or academic advisor.