1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best school for grad degree in physics

1. Nov 30, 2015 #1
    Just wondering if anyone has preferences.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The University of Southern North Dakota.

4. Dec 5, 2015 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Vanadium, you should be ashamed of yourself. You made me spit my tea all over my keyboard!

Zz.

5. Dec 5, 2015 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I understand USND specializes in the physics of exotic musical instruments, e.g. the tromboon. :oldwink:

Seriously, Jason, if you want to get some useful suggestions, you should at least give us some idea of what fields of physics you're interested in for Ph.D. research, what part(s) of the world you favor, and maybe some information about your current standing: GPA, any research experience you have, etc.

Depending on the field, you can find good graduate physics programs in places that you might not expect. For example, Louisiana State University has a strong program in general relativity, both theoretical and experimental (e.g. the LIGO experiment).

6. Dec 5, 2015 #5
    MIT? I'm english so I don't really know but it's supposed to be the best for STEM subjects.

7. Dec 6, 2015 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Only it's not the best school for a grad degree in physics. That answer depends on so many variables it could be argued any school is the best. Podunk university might be the best because the leading professor in the world on Podunk physics decided that's where he wanted to live and raise his three goats.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook