Best software to learn a language?

In summary, the speaker is currently using Rosetta Stone to learn Japanese, but has encountered difficulties with the program's focus on vocabulary and lack of grammar instruction. They are seeking recommendations for software that can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the language, with a particular need for speech recognition. They suggest checking out a free government program, but also mention the importance of finding a fluent speaker to practice with.
Dauden
Hello hello, I'm currently trying to teach myself a language, Japanese. I'm using Rosetta Stone right now and things are going great for the most part. The problem I have is that it only teaches you what can be associated with a picture which works phenomenally with vocab. You also have to infer almost everything. Because of that, it tells you next to nothing about grammar and some of the other subtleties of the language.

Is there some software out there that teaches you all of this about the language?

Science news on Phys.org
For the Japanese one it just seems like an outline for a class. It does show you exercises though.

The reason I need software is because I need some kind of speech recognition. When learning a new language, pronunciation and learning to speak it easily is by far the most important thing for me.

Maybe you can find a student fluent in the language who is willing to work with you. There is really no way to go about another language without being able to use it and listen to it in your own way. You can listen to pre-recorded things all day long, and you will still have questions.

1. What is the best software to learn a language?

The best software to learn a language is subjective and depends on individual learning styles and needs. Some popular options include Duolingo, Rosetta Stone, Babbel, and Memrise.

2. How do I choose the right language learning software for me?

To choose the right language learning software, consider your budget, preferred learning method (e.g. visual, audio, etc.), and the language you want to learn. Research and read reviews to find a software that aligns with your preferences.

3. Can I become fluent in a language by using language learning software?

While language learning software can be a helpful tool, it is not enough on its own to make someone fluent in a language. It is important to supplement software with other resources such as textbooks, conversation practice, and immersion.

4. Is it better to learn a language with software or with a tutor?

Both options have their advantages. Using language learning software allows for self-paced learning and can be more cost-effective. However, a tutor can provide personalized instruction and feedback, which may be more beneficial for some learners.

5. Can I use language learning software to learn multiple languages at once?

It is not recommended to use language learning software to learn multiple languages at once, as it can be overwhelming and hinder progress in both languages. It is better to focus on one language at a time and fully immerse yourself in it.