1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best source(s) to get a great grasp on forces/Newton's laws?

1. Oct 15, 2015 #1
    So, we're learning about forces and newton's laws in class, and my professor zips through the material without really explaining anything. I'm having the most trouble understanding f_net=ma (specifically, how that can be used in a free body diagram) and how third-law pairs fit into a free body diagram, and I was wondering what sources you've used to get a better understanding of these things. I'm a very visual/auditory learner, so videos are the best, but any online materials that I can easily access would be great. Any worksheets w/answers and stuff using newton's laws in calculations would be great, too. Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2015 #2

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 15, 2015 #3
    I love khan academy, and I went through they're newton's laws stuff, but it didn't have any examples on more complicated problems, which is what I'm really having trouble with. Thanks, though; I might check them out again.

5. Oct 15, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would be helpful to know if this is for high school or college, and whether your physics course is algebra or calculus based.

6. Oct 15, 2015 #5
    Sorry about that! This is an engineering physics course at college; it's calculus based.

7. Oct 17, 2015 #6
    The application of Newton's laws should be well understood while you are in high school! Try University Physics by Freedman, it has very detailed explanation and plenty of exercise.

8. Oct 17, 2015 #7
    I didn't actually take physics in high school haha. Thanks for the rec; I'll check it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook