Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Time to Learn Critical Thinking Skills

1. Apr 21, 2013 #1
    Now, I'm aware that the best time to learn a new language it during your toddler years. This got me thinking. What if the best time to learn logical thinking is also during this time? I know for a fact that kids are not taught critical thinking skills. I tutored many kids and only see them do basic plug and chug problems. Sometimes I even have to make up my own problems because they are so bored. Anyways, I want to hear your opinions. When do you guys think is the best time to train the brain?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2013 #2

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

My opinion - the younger the better, for the skills. Weren't Mozart and Beethoven trained as toddlers?

Does anyone else recall a BBC documentary that followed about a dozen kids from age five to middle years? Most of them turned out about the way they had been programmed by age five.

I was an "Erector Set" kid.
    th?id=H.4866761568157750&w=80&h=80&c=8&pid=3.1&qlt=90.jpg

Don't know what the video game generations will turn out to be.

4. Apr 22, 2013 #3
    I was a religious kid

5. Apr 22, 2013 #4
    The documentary was called 7Up, 14Up, 21Up, 28Up. Some of the people looked the same at every age. Others were unrecognizable at each age. I couldn't make any generalization.

6. Apr 22, 2013 #5
    I learnt it when I was forking with my dongle.

7. May 3, 2013 #6
    Me too. Not enough evidence, but at least for me my logic "came" in 9th grade, and is constantly developing via physics forums :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook