How Can I Improve My Critical Thinking Skills for Math?

• Thread starter Jorgon1022
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tips
In summary, a person who is about to graduate with a business degree and a GPA of 2.9 is seeking advice on improving their critical thinking skills in order to pursue self-learning in computer science and math. They are also wondering if books such as "How to solve it" can help with problem solving techniques, and if genetics play a role in one's ability to excel in math. Other community members suggest challenging oneself with coding-related math problems and practicing the basics to improve skills, but acknowledge that some individuals may have a natural aptitude for math.
Jorgon1022
Hey guys I am writing here because I know this is a big community and I could really use some advice. I am 27 about to graduate from school with a business degree and a GPA of 2.9. I'm embarrassed to say it but it's the truth.

My concern is that now that I will be graduating, I want to focus on learning computer science on my own and learning math on my own.

I want to learn discrete math and statistics but my biggest concern is that my critical thinking skills are weak.I have been told in interviews that My logic is weak so I need guidance from this forum.

Is there a way to improve your critical thinking skills or is it genetic?
Do books such as "How to solve it" actually help develop problem solving techniques or what do you guys think?

Sometimes I feel that being good at math is a lot like being a professional athlete. No matter how hard someone tries, if you are 5'8 you will more than likely succeed in the NBA. Is this an accurate analogy?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I have a hard time with math too, maybe you have strengths in other fields that are important too in return.

Those "How to solve it" books are somewhat interesting at first, but the one or two I bought in my life so far didn't really help me.

What helps me a little bit, is challenging myself with math problems I need for coding anyway and if I find that the problem is too complicated, I try to simplify it and see if I can solve the simpler one at least. Also practising the basics this way is useful for me, since my problem also is I forget after a while a lot of what I have learned.
But I still feel there is a certain point I can't go beyond.

I see that there are people that seem to have it easier at math or at least can solve harder problems easier.
Genetics might play a role in that, but I think it's also how you have been raised and how you learned math in your early days.

1. How can I improve my math skills?

To improve your math skills, you should practice regularly, seek help from teachers or tutors, and use various resources such as textbooks and online resources.

2. How can I stay motivated while studying math?

To stay motivated, set achievable goals for yourself and reward yourself when you reach them. Also, try to find real-world applications for the math concepts you are learning to make it more interesting.

3. What are some effective study strategies for math?

Some effective study strategies for math include breaking down complex problems into smaller, manageable parts, practicing with a variety of problems, and teaching the material to someone else.

4. How can I overcome math anxiety?

To overcome math anxiety, try to shift your mindset from "I can't do math" to "I can improve at math with practice." Also, seek support from teachers or counselors and try relaxation techniques before and during exams.

5. How important is practicing for success in math?

Practicing regularly is crucial for success in math. Repetition helps to reinforce concepts and improve problem-solving skills. Without practice, it is difficult to fully understand and apply mathematical concepts.