Best translation of Newton's Principia in three volumes

  • Topic: Mathematica 
  • Thread starter Thread starter NanoTech
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series Translation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
NanoTech
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
"Principia Mathematica"

Hi- I was wanting to know about the best translation of Newton's, "Principia" series. I want all three volumes, anyone who has read/bought these please inform me about it. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have an edition of Cajori's translation, which is maybe not the best, but was cheap. It's not like Newton's text is poetry or anything.

You might be looking for scholarly apparatus - notes, prefatory esays and so on to make the reading easier, but I'm fraid I don't know of any edition like that.
 
Ok thanks. Sorry- I didn't mean translation in another language, only to English from Latin/Olde English styles. I have looked at the Motte translation of Principia , but I still find it to be too difficult to read, I guess I should should start with something more simple brfore treading through his masterpiece..