Which computer is best for engineering school?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the best computer to use for engineering. The options considered are a non-Windows machine, specifically a Mac or a Linux machine. The conversation suggests that all major engineering software is available for Linux and that it might be the best choice. However, the preference of the person responding is a Mac due to its versatility and ability to also run Windows software. They provide a link to a website explaining the benefits of using a Mac for engineering.
stjimmy
I have a question about what computer to use for engineering.
You see I don't want to use a Windows box and would greatly perfer to use non-redmond software.
so..If you are very anti-windows, what makes sense?
can you use a mac? is that good for engineering school?
A Linux machine?

what do you think?
1.what is better for engineering a mac or linux?
or do I have no choice and must use windows?
2.would a linux/windows dual boot work?
(anyone who uses something like that)
3.any one with a computer using linux or macOS that is an engineer

ps don't
say such things as unsupportable statements
anti-mac(only good for graphic design ,toy etc
anti-linux( hackers stigma ,geek ,free= bad etc
I don't really care much about windows but I don't like blatent attacks
alrighty Help!

oh and pps thanks for any future replies

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of engineering?

All of the major kinds of engineering software (CAD, computer algebra, circuit simulation, etc.) are available for Linux. Much of the exact same software will also run on a Mac, though you might have to spend more time getting it to work. If it were up to me, I'd choose Linux.

- Warren

You might not like ms too much but <cliche>Don't cut off your nose to spite your face</cliche>.

The best advice I can give you is to find the software you want to run and then get the platform it runs best on, whatever that might be. If it seems to be much of a muchness then Linux is free...

My opinion is to go Mac. This is not just based upon the fact that I'm a staunch Mac guy who detests Windows. It's a matter of versatility. Rather than try to explain the reasons myself, I'll just direct you http://www.apple.com/science/whymac/ . Any Mac with 'Virtual PC' will also run Windows software, but slowly. Forget about it for games, but it's fine for other stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the best type of computer to use for scientific research?

The best type of computer to use for scientific research depends on the specific needs of the research. Generally, a high-performance computer with a fast processor, large amount of RAM, and dedicated graphics card is recommended to handle complex calculations and data analysis. It is also important to consider the compatibility of the computer with the software and programs used in the research.

What are the advantages of using a desktop computer for scientific research?

Desktop computers typically have more powerful hardware and larger storage capacity compared to laptops, making them more suitable for handling large datasets and performing complex calculations. They also tend to have better cooling systems, which can prevent overheating during long research sessions.

Can a laptop be a good option for scientific research?

Yes, laptops can be a good option for scientific research, especially for those who need to work on-the-go or in different locations. However, they may not have the same level of performance and storage capacity as desktop computers, so it is important to carefully consider the specific needs of the research before choosing a laptop.

Is it necessary to have a specific brand or model of computer for scientific research?

No, there is no specific brand or model that is required for scientific research. It is more important to focus on the specifications and capabilities of the computer, rather than the brand. However, some brands or models may be more popular among scientists due to their reliability, performance, and compatibility with scientific software.

Are there any additional features or components that are important for a computer used in scientific research?

In addition to the hardware specifications, it is important to have a reliable internet connection and a backup system for data storage. Having a good quality monitor and keyboard can also make a significant difference in the comfort and efficiency of working on a computer for long periods of time.