1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Undegrad course in theoretical physics

1. May 10, 2015 #1
    Hi all,
    My long term goal is to become a theoretical physicist, General relativity being my field of interest. I am not sure about the university I should choose for my undergraduate course. I am from India, but I want to pursue my undergrad, graduate and PhD from a US or UK university( In case that doesn't work out, I'll go to IISc). My initial choice was the Math Tripos at Cambridge, but now I have my doubts about the physics portion(or rather, applied math, as they say). I don't want to go with NatSci because (1) I hate experiments (2) I am not sure if I will get the math I need in the long run.
    So, I now turn my interest towards US universities. Stanford and Princeton have a decent physics course, but again, I am not sure about the math included. Yes, I want to be a physicist, and yes, I love mathematics, so I don't want to compromise on that either. SO, coming back to the question-
    If I want to become a theoretical physicist, which is the best undergrad option for me? Math tripos or NatSci tripos? Or, a university in United states among stanford, princeton, or MIT?
    Also, if I would go to cambridge, I could apply for the Manmohan Singh undergraduate scholarship. But I am not sure if any scholarships exist for Princeton etc. Any suggestions for scholarships?
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook