Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Best way to learn string theory?

1. May 28, 2017 #1
    I am a cosmologist/theoretical astrophysicist, and so far my research (all 2 years of it) has focused on quantum cosmology. However, I have become interested in string cosmology recently, and wish to do some work in that field. Obviously though, there is a minor problem with that idea. Learning String Theory. Does anyone have any ideas on the best methods of learning this theory?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2017 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Zwiebach, A First Course in String Theory
    This book is written for undergraduates, so I am sure that you will be able to read it and learn a lot from it.

4. May 30, 2017 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

I like the combination of Tong + Green,Schwarz Witten. Zwiebach is excellent as a first exposure and contains many great treatments, but is also very lengthy.

5. May 30, 2017 #4

arivero

Gold Member

Plus, not susy, just D=26.

6. May 30, 2017 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

The second edition of Zwiebach has susy and D=10.

7. May 30, 2017 #6

arivero

Gold Member

Good to know. It is a huge difference, IMO.

8. May 30, 2017 #7

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Yes, but the corresponding new chapter is only about 20 pages long, and not very well written. So the difference is not so huge. It looks as he added this chapter only because of the pressure of the peers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted