Advice needed on the best way to learn smart phone

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary: I have been playing with the phone the last 3 days. It doesn't seems that I can get much help googling, or even from Verizon site.The problem is there are quite a few J3 models, also the video for J3 with Metro PCS works differently.All the articles I read so far are not really helpful. Seems like experimenting is a good way to go.Just spend the time playing with the "Setting". It's really not hard at all. Like setting font size, screen saver, sending pictures by texting, USB download pictures and video to laptop, adding contacts...
yungman
Hi
We just changed to the Samsung J3 smart phones from flip phones. Due to the complexity of what I use, I never move to tablet, still using laptop 100% of the time( even that, it's slow). So I have no idea about the operating system of tablet and smart phone. I think Samsung is Android or whatever. Any books or anything that's best to learn this?

We don't even use cell phone that often, never have the need to look into this. Problem is our grandson gone away to college out of state, he never read email and a lot of time doesn't answer the phone, he only use text! So we are forced to get into the 21st century!

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I took a free class at my local Verizon store (where I got the phone) the first weekend I had it. That made it MUCH easier to start using it. Did you get it from a store? Do they offer free classes?

Likes FactChecker and jedishrfu
berkeman said:
I took a free class at my local Verizon store (where I got the phone) the first weekend I had it. That made it MUCH easier to start using it. Did you get it from a store? Do they offer free classes?
I got them over the Verizon website, I still have not received it yet, should be today.

At the mean time, I went on google and found Consummer Cellular youtube video. Do they operate the same way?

Thanks

Likes jedishrfu
The iPhone and iPad run a restricted MacOS and the Android phones run a restricted Linux OS.

One interesting thing about smart phones is that there are actually two OSes on the phone. The basic network/vendor provided phone OS which handles all low-level phone specific functions and the MacOS / Android OS that handles all the "smart" features. The Open Handset Alliance ensures that all Androids are functionally the same as vendors can't fork Android and make mods to it for their specific phone.

The OS restrictions basically lock down the ability of apps to see only their own files and no other. There are also device related restrictions where the user must give permissions to an app to use the mic or camera...

There are probably tutorials on YouTube for your phone or for Android phones showing you the basic features.

There are also books available from B&N or Amazon for newbies on the features of the phones.

I think in general, all Android phones are similar, but different enough by model that you will want to watch a tutorial for your exact phone.

When you go to the Verizon website and search on your phone, are there any tutorials available? You should be able to log into your account (the same one you will use to pay your bills), click on "My Phone" and then look for manuals and tutorials.

Do you have a local Verizon store near you?

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/302140

Likes jedishrfu
Thanks guys

The link I provided is specifically for my Samsung J3, just it's Consummer Cellular, not Verizon. But if the Android OS is the same, then the video should work then?
I watched part one, it's very easy. I am not trying to be expert on it. I am on the computer all day already, I don't think I have the urge to be on the phone when I am out. I don't play game period, so that's not even a requirement. My main goal is to call and answer phones, send and receive text, take pictures, record video and upload them into my computer. Not much after that.

I finally got the phone, I learn the very basic stuffs like call and receive call, sending and receiving text, take pictures and videos.

Now I want to learn more about Android, is the Android phone the same as Android tablets that I can learn one and know the other? Any particular books you can recommend?

thanks

I have been playing with the phone the last 3 days. It doesn't seems that I can get much help googling, or even from Verizon site. The problem is there are quite a few J3 models, also the video for J3 with Metro PCS works differently. I watched 4 parts of the Metro PCS, it's not the same as my Verizon phone either their operating system is slightly difference or the model is different.

All the articles I read so far are not really helpful. Seems like experimenting is a good way to go. I just spend the time playing with the "Setting". It's really not hard at all. Like setting font size, screen saver, sending pictures by texting, USB download pictures and video to laptop, adding contacts etc.

yungman said:
I just spend the time playing with the "Setting". It's really not hard at all. Like setting font size, screen saver, sending pictures by texting, USB download pictures and video to laptop, adding contacts etc.
The long thread I linked to has lots of useful apps listed, but these are the ones I use the most, and I think are worthwhile looking into:
  • Banking app for whatever bank you use (very handy for depositing checks by taking pictures of them)
  • QR & Barcode Scanner (for getting links and more information from printed material)
  • Free42 (HP 42 calculator -- I'm very partial to RPN calculators)

Likes WWGD
berkeman said:
The long thread I linked to has lots of useful apps listed, but these are the ones I use the most, and I think are worthwhile looking into:
  • Banking app for whatever bank you use (very handy for depositing checks by taking pictures of them)
  • QR & Barcode Scanner (for getting links and more information from printed material)
  • Free42 (HP 42 calculator -- I'm very partial to RPN calculators)
Thanks
I am not going to use it for email, banking or anything that involve my private informations. It is safer this way. I never even play games, this is one thing I never do. To be honest, I really don't do much on the phone...even for computer that I use hours a day, it's all for no nonsense stuffs like chatting in the audio forum, designing amplifiers, drawing schematics, laying out pcb and simulations. I lead a boring life and I love it.

I mainly want to get very familiar with the Android phone and learn the tablet just like I try to learn about windows on computers. It's more about not being obsoleted than getting into all the apps.

So far, I spent a lot of time going into the Setup and navigate around to see how to work the setting, that's what I really like to learn. Like whether I can see up folders in the phone like I do on computers, that I can store different things and different folders. I already know how to download pictures and videos taken with the phone to the computer. I just want to know more how to navigate around the phone like computer.

Thanks

I have a question, I set up my email account on the smart phone already. I can check mail, send email. BUT I cannot access my Contacts in my email address.

It is a @yahoo.com address, I set it all up and use this account for years already. I have all the contact set up, all I have to do on the laptop is type the first two letters and the suggestion address will pop up, all I have to do is to choose the right one. But on the phone, I cannot access to the Contact, that means I have to type the email address manually.

I went through the setup, search around, there is no way I can find to access the contact of my email. I went to google, no luck. Anyone can help?

Thanks

yungman said:
Hi
We just changed to the Samsung J3 smart phones from flip phones. Due to the complexity of what I use, I never move to tablet, still using laptop 100% of the time( even that, it's slow). So I have no idea about the operating system of tablet and smart phone. I think Samsung is Android or whatever. Any books or anything that's best to learn this?

We don't even use cell phone that often, never have the need to look into this. Problem is our grandson gone away to college out of state, he never read email and a lot of time doesn't answer the phone, he only use text! So we are forced to get into the 21st century!

Thanks

Google is your best friend. There are tons of guides available to do the same. Simply, use your Smartphone & whenever facing any issue; Google it.

In short, Gmail "just works" on Android phones. All the Google apps (Contacts, Gmail, Keep, Calendar, etc.) are wonderful. All the info is constantly backed up in the cloud, so you can't lose it, and you can access either from a desktop computer or your phone.

I have a Yahoo email account, but much prefer using Gmail now. Consider switching over just to make your life easy going forwards.

1. What is the best way to learn how to use a smartphone?

The best way to learn how to use a smartphone is by exploring and experimenting with the device. Familiarize yourself with the settings, menus, and features. You can also watch tutorials and read user manuals for a more in-depth understanding.

2. How long does it take to learn how to use a smartphone?

The time it takes to learn how to use a smartphone varies from person to person. It depends on your current knowledge and experience with technology, as well as the complexity of the smartphone. With regular use and practice, you can become comfortable with your smartphone within a few weeks.

3. Are there any tips for learning how to use a smartphone more efficiently?

To learn how to use a smartphone more efficiently, start by organizing your apps and creating shortcuts for frequently used features. Use voice commands and gestures for faster navigation. You can also customize your settings to fit your needs and preferences.

4. Is it necessary to take a class to learn how to use a smartphone?

No, it is not necessary to take a class to learn how to use a smartphone. With the abundance of online resources and tutorials, you can easily learn on your own. However, if you prefer a structured learning environment, there are classes and workshops available for smartphone usage.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when learning how to use a smartphone?

Some common mistakes to avoid when learning how to use a smartphone include not backing up your data, not updating your software, and not using security features to protect your device. It is also important to be cautious when downloading apps and to avoid giving out personal information to unfamiliar sources.