Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best way to see Andromeda galaxy

1. Dec 31, 2014 #1
    I just recently got a dobsonian reflector telescope, (Orion SkyQuest XT8 PLUS Dobsonian Reflector Telescope) and I was wondering what the best way to see the andromeda galaxy would be using the telescope? Of these, which would be the best eye piece for that sort of thing?:

Orion 2" 28mm DeepView telescope eyepiece
    Orion 1.25" 10mm Sirius Plossl telescope eyepiece
    Orion 1.25" Shorty 2x Barlow

Also, if not the andromeda galaxy, what else would be able to see that is especially neat to look at with this kind of telescope? I live in the new england area, if that helps. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I'm just starting out so I need all the help I can get. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2014 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

For a galaxy, you want the least magnification/widest field of view you can get. So that would be the 10mm eyepiece.

You'll definitely also want to look at the planets, the moon and some of the brighter nebulae (Orion Nebula to start).

4. Jan 1, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

To build on Russ' answer, M31 is big. Really big. Bigger than the moon. You don't need magnification - it will only mean you'll see less of it. You need light collection, and you'll want to go where the sky is darkest.

5. Jan 1, 2015 #4
    Russ is right about using the least magnification. But that would be with the 28mm eyepiece. Magnification is scope focal length divided by eyepiece focal length.
    In your case 1200/28 at 43 vs 1200/10 at 120.

6. Jan 1, 2015 #5

russ_watters

Lol, that was stupid -- thanks for the correction!

7. Jan 2, 2015 #6

Drakkith

The New England area? I heard that all you can see there is clouds. Come to Arizona for a real sky. :-p
    If you go out after about 9-10 pm, Orion should be coming up in the East. The Orion Nebula is a beauty to look at.

8. Jan 4, 2015 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There exists in the Petersen's series "A Field Guide to the Stars and Planets"
    that i found very helpful getting started with my first telescope, a short little 4.5 inch reflector.

Also Sky and Telescope magazine i found fascinating. Check out their weekly sky guide at
    http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/sky-at-a-glance/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook