1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best way to visualise data outputted from a C program

1. Dec 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've written some C code that models the motion of two masses attached to a wall (and each other) by springs like this.

The output file is 5 columns; the time, and the positions and velocities of each block at that time.

I'm not sure how to visualise my data, ideally I want to make a simulation that shows two blocks moving as described by the data, I'm open to doing more coding and I have Matlab and Mathematica.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I've just been using Matlab to graph the motion but it isn't terribly interesting, I want something that moves. A moving plot (like a GIF file) of the Lissajous curves being plotted would be good but I'm not sure what software I need for this.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2013 #2
    You can use matlab to draw the blocks and springs, if that's what you're after.
    Draw the blocks in the correct locations, than add each spring.
    If you have fully licensed matlab, you can even save it as an AVI.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted