Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Better in my eye than in my camera

1. Jul 18, 2009 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This was really cool in-person. I didn't take the time to check my camera settings, so it didn't record as well as I'd have liked.

I am calling it a crepuscular rainbow. This is a pic of sun beams (crepuscular rays) streaming through the clouds - into a mist of raindrops. So, this tiny section of the rainbow has spokes.

A half-hour and 50km later, it faded away, and then shortly after, it's counterpart appeared in the other corner of the sky.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sounds cool. Can you host a higher resolution version of it somewhere?

4. Jul 18, 2009 #3
    You should send this along with your description to Dr. Nemiroff of APOD.http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jul 18, 2009 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I could but little point really. I deliberately scaled it down because it's too grainy.

6. Jul 18, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Ooh! I hadn't even thought of that. Now I really wish I'd gotten a better pic!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Jul 19, 2009 #6
    You should do something about that; it sounds as if it would hurt to have that in your eye.

:biggrin:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

8. Jul 19, 2009 #7
    I caught a good one just yesterday. Still need to get a good camera.

IMG00086.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook