Exploring the Big Bang Theory: A Fresh Perspective from a New Physics Student

• Thread starter lincs_b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Big bang
In summary, the conversation discusses the big bang theory and alternative theories such as plasma cosmology. Some participants believe in the big bang while others question its validity and propose alternative explanations. The lack of evidence for WIMPs and the dominance of dark matter and energy in the universe are also discussed. However, most agree that the evidence overwhelmingly supports the big bang theory and there is little research or evidence to support plasma cosmology.
lincs_b
Big bang?

I'm quite new to Physics as I have just completed my first year towards a Bsc Physical sciences, so I was looking for some more educated views.

I watched a programme quite a while ago on plasma cosmology, I had never even heard of this before although I was aware that not all agreed with the big bang theory. Some of the theory on the programme seemed quite flakey but then I'm not really one who should pass judgement.

So basically I was wondering what other peoples views were. Should everyone accept the big bang theory and keep looking for wimps etc or try to take a different look at the problems?

Space news on Phys.org

Why is not WIMP's compatible with the standard model of Big Bang??

I personally believe the 'Big Bang' was more of a little 'poof' of matter that came into existence. I also believe that in the first few billionths of a second of this our universe, it was in a liquid state because of the high pressure and heat that resulted from compacting all of our universe's matter into that tiny space, billionths of a second after this 'poof'.

What do you think?

Modern cosmologists are not unwilling to entertain alternatives to the 'Big Bang'. The problem is, they do not exist. Observational evidence overwhelming supports the BB theory to date.

Jah, the http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/starsgalaxies/nobel_prize_mather.html" project for which those guys won the nobel prize in 2007 was substantial evidence that the Big Bang happened :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not denying that the 'Big Bang' existed, I'm just exercising ideas about the physical nature of the young universe.

Louis_B, present your own ideas, well motivated, in the 'independent research forum'

Where is that?

Sorry for any confusion. What I meant is that at the moment it is believed that for the big bang to have happened WIMP's must exist but so far the search has been unsuccessful. If WIMP's are never to be found does this mean that the big bang theory is an impossible one or should it just be altered like it has with dark matter and energy?

It does seem quite crazy that dark matter and energy make up the most of the universe yet they are hypothetical. I'm not saying that it is wrong but there seems there is no allowance for any other belief.

So surely plasma outweighs any other state of matter in the universe but what research has been done? I read allot and astronomy is a real interest of mine but I only ever read about the effects of gravity on the typical three states of matter, never electromagnetism or the behaviour of plasma (except aurora).

As plasma is electrically charged in space and therefore the effects of gravity and electromagnetism surely differ to that of the 'typical states' then surely more research has been done and the topic hasn't been discounted altogether?

Maybe there has been lots of work on the subject but I just can't seem to find it?
Also does anyone know if Einstein's idea that energy is a property of space is really true? If so then if the universe is expanding then surely 'new' energy is being created all of the time?

lincs_b said:
Sorry for any confusion. What I meant is that at the moment it is believed that for the big bang to have happened WIMP's must exist but so far the search has been unsuccessful. If WIMP's are never to be found does this mean that the big bang theory is an impossible one or should it just be altered like it has with dark matter and energy?

But you won't know that WIMPs are never to be found unless you wait around for eternity. All the evidence available today points towards the Big Bang - one piece of evidence could falsify it, but so far that has not been found. Some evidence that would support it if found (e.g. WIMPs) hasn't been found yet, but abscence of evidence isn't evidence of abscence.

lincs_b said:

It does seem quite crazy that dark matter and energy make up the most of the universe yet they are hypothetical. I'm not saying that it is wrong but there seems there is no allowance for any other belief.

So surely plasma outweighs any other state of matter in the universe but what research has been done? I read allot and astronomy is a real interest of mine but I only ever read about the effects of gravity on the typical three states of matter, never electromagnetism or the behaviour of plasma (except aurora).

As plasma is electrically charged in space and therefore the effects of gravity and electromagnetism surely differ to that of the 'typical states' then surely more research has been done and the topic hasn't been discounted altogether?

Maybe there has been lots of work on the subject but I just can't seem to find it?
Also does anyone know if Einstein's idea that energy is a property of space is really true? If so then if the universe is expanding then surely 'new' energy is being created all of the time?

I far as I can tell, there has been next to nothing published on plasma cosmology in peer-reviewed physics, astrophysics, or astronomy journals. As plasma cosmology has been around for decades, this is a damning indictment.

See this long thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1575286#post1575286.

For evidence that supports the Big Bang, see

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html#BBevidence.

Thanks for that.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a hot and dense singularity approximately 13.8 billion years ago and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How was the Big Bang Theory discovered?

The Big Bang Theory was first proposed in the 1920s by Belgian physicist Georges Lemaître, who based his theory on Einstein's theory of general relativity. It was further developed and confirmed through observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the Big Bang.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang Theory?

There are several lines of evidence that support the Big Bang Theory, including the expansion of the universe, the abundance of light elements, and the cosmic microwave background radiation. Additionally, the theory accurately predicts the observed distribution of galaxies and the rate at which the universe is expanding.

4. How does the Big Bang Theory relate to new physics?

The Big Bang Theory has been a driving force in the development of new physics theories and concepts. It has led to the development of theories such as inflation, dark energy, and dark matter, which help explain the expansion and structure of the universe. The Big Bang Theory also continues to be an area of active research, providing new insights into the fundamental properties of the universe.

5. Can the Big Bang Theory be proven?

As with any scientific theory, the Big Bang Theory cannot be proven with absolute certainty. However, the overwhelming amount of evidence from various fields of study, along with the consistency of the theory with observations, makes it the most widely accepted explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe.