Big Zika Decline in the Western Hemisphere

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hemisphere
In summary, the article discusses why cases of Zika virus infections have decreased in areas where the virus previously raged. The article speculates that herd immunity may be the reason for the decrease.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Cases of Zika virus infections (some of which are associated with newborn brain damage) have declined to an unexpected degree in North, South and Central Americas.
For example: local transmission in the US went from 224 last year to 1 this year.

Article above discusses why?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Biology news on Phys.org
Interesting. I had been wondering why there was such a drop-off. Thanks Bill.
Better control of Zika's vector, the Aedes aegypti mosquito that thrives in the hotter, southern part of the country, doesn't explain the dearth of cases. Nor are other factors such as climate change at work, experts say. Instead, Zika cases have plummeted in Latin America and the Caribbean, where the virus raged over the past 2 years, and much of the population is now immune to it. That, in turn, means fewer infected people entering the United States, reducing the chances of mosquitoes spreading the virus to susceptible people. The respite, experts say, could last for years.

I know it's weird. It isn't really clear on why the decrease is happening sooner than predicted, the article speculates that the cause was "herd immunity". I couldn't find much else on it.

@Fervent Freyja I am with you. There isn't much to go on. (Guess on my part): Most Zika infections are sub-clinical, so you can have a massive wave of infections that go completely unnoticed and in a few years almost everyone has been exposed and developed antibodies. This has to be the primary working assumption.

I do know: I came back from Peru and tested positive for a lot of diseases and that I have no recollection of enduring any symptoms related to them. Like blinding headaches and possibly paralysis I should have had but did not, from a high elevation encephalitis I tested positive for... my interleukins and their friends were busy killing off something else and clobbered the encephalitis as a side effect. I guess.

Dengue virus is also transmitted by the same mosquito (A. aegypti), and serological testing sometimes confuses the two epidemics (due to similarity of the antibodies against the two viruses). Could it perhaps be that Zika cases were just "re-classified"? I can't imagine how this can produce such a massive and widespread reported decline everywhere, though. This could be a good graduate student research project.

1. What is the cause of the decline in Zika cases in the Western Hemisphere?

The decline in Zika cases in the Western Hemisphere is primarily due to effective mosquito control measures, increased public awareness and education about preventing mosquito bites, and natural immunity among the population.

2. Is there a cure for Zika virus?

Currently, there is no specific treatment or vaccine for Zika virus. However, symptoms can be managed with rest, fluids, and over-the-counter medications. It is important to prevent mosquito bites to avoid contracting the virus.

3. Can Zika still spread even with the decline in cases?

Yes, there is still a risk of Zika spread, especially in areas where the mosquito vector is present. It is important to continue practicing mosquito control measures and taking precautions to prevent mosquito bites.

4. Are there any long-term effects of Zika virus?

Zika virus has been linked to birth defects in babies born to infected mothers, such as microcephaly. It may also cause Guillain-Barré syndrome, a rare but serious neurological disorder. More research is needed to fully understand the long-term effects of Zika virus.

5. How can I protect myself from Zika virus?

The best way to protect yourself from Zika virus is to prevent mosquito bites. This can be done by using insect repellent, wearing long-sleeved shirts and pants, and staying in air-conditioned or screened-in areas. It is also important to remove any standing water around your home to eliminate mosquito breeding grounds.