Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Billions of cicadas returning after 17 years

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Every 17 years, the cicadas return to the north east united states. In the next few weeks it is estimated their will be ~1 billion cicadas per square mile.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/cicadas-coming-151907579.html

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2
    Cool! I remember as a youth seeing the massive amounts of shells everywhere. WI usually sees a fair amount.

4. Apr 9, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I remember that season in Maryland 2 cycles ago ... just unbelievable the number of them flying around and all those shells on all the trees. A real force of nature.

The Washington beltway got a bit dangerous with all those stupid things whacking into windshields and occasionally slamming into the window frame and startling the drivers.

5. Apr 9, 2013 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was there last time. It literally sounded like there was a helicopter outside my house. 24 hours a day for three weeks.

And you'd best not open your mouth outside...

6. Apr 9, 2013 #5

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My wife was driven crazy by the last big invasion here in 2004. She panicked so bad one time that she almost ran in front of a car. My big fear is that she'll see one in the car while she's driving.

7. Apr 9, 2013 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

When that big one came that I mentioned above, I was driving a car that had a wing vent and one of them bounced off the vent and smacked me right in the face while I was doing about 70 on the Washington Beltway. A bit scary there for a moment. Hope nothing like that happens to you wife.

8. Apr 9, 2013 #7

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, phinds. She will definitely have all of the windows closed. I'm more worried about one getting in while she's at work or slipping in as she enters the car and not announcing its presence until she's driving down the road.

Other than that, I'm actually looking forward to it.

9. Apr 16, 2013 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looking forward to it as well. In 2004, Brood X emerged in mid May (in central NJ). Our neighborhood had a heavy concentration of them that year.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  10. May 8, 2013 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. May 8, 2013 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

12. May 9, 2013 #11

Danger

Gold Member

I guess that it's too cold for them up here; I've never heard of them being in my area.
    As for the noise, the neighbours did complain once because the ex- rubbed her legs together during mating, but that ended once I convinced her to shave.

13. May 9, 2013 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook