Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Billions of Pounds in Lost Mathematicians

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1

The article states the obvious, but now maybe things will start to change if people believe it's effecting the economy.

From the article:
    "This has led to mathematics at university being compromised and able-students being neglected, and has cost the economy billions of pounds in lost mathematicians."

"In today's Britain it is acceptable to say that you can't do maths, whereas people would be ashamed to admit they couldn't read."

Not that anything is ever going to change in the UK, or here in the US.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2008 #2
    Eloi and morlocks?

Our level of technological development is dependent upon people with at least a solid grasp of mathematics. Almost anyone can use the trappings of technology, but it takes more to understand how they work and contribute to sustaining or advancing our capabilities.

(P.S. this is probably getting moved...)
  4. Jun 4, 2008 #3
    Funny stuff. I wonder what that is even supposed to mean? Of course, actually measuring how much would be lost would be demanding, and I doubt anyone really tried. If anyone has evidence otherwise I'd be interested in reading it.
  5. Jun 4, 2008 #4
    Actually, I realize now that while the monetary value would be hard to measure, the weight might not be. Just see how the proportion of mathematicians has changed and multiply by the number of people and the average weight in pounds per person of a Brit.

6. Jun 4, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Speaking of funding for science and mathematics, there was a telling chart created by Sean Carroll that he posted in his blog recently. It compares the annual funding for the physical sciences awarded to major funding organizations with the money that was lost (i.e., remains unaccounted for) in Iraq.

7. Jun 4, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Especially if you are short of mathematicians!
  8. Jun 4, 2008 #7
  9. Jun 4, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't realize mathematicians weighed so much! :uhh:
  10. Jun 4, 2008 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It could be just a lot of lost mathematicians. :smile:

You would think at least one could find their way home, but maybe they are all tied up in knots.

Oddly, If the s implies at least 2 and the standard 180lb airline passenger weight is used then
    I think that's a repeating decimal, but too lazy to check.
    Fitting somehow :cool:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?