Binary-star system, gravity + centripetal force question?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the period of revolution for two stars in a binary-star system. The stars have a mass of 1.36e30 kg and are 1.1e8 km apart. The equation used is the centripetal force equation, where gravity is equal to the centripetal force. After some trial and error, the correct solution is found by converting the distance unit from kilometers to meters.
basenne
1. In a certain binary-star system, each star has the a mass of 1.36e30 kg, and they revolve about their center of mass. The distance between them is 1.1e8 km. What is their period of revolution in Earth years?
gravity = centripetal force
(g*m*m)/d^2 = (mv^2)/r

3. I've tried plugging in numbers, tried 1/2 of 1.1e8 for R and 1.1e8 for D(diameter), didn't work. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. I know that v^2 becomes (diameter/time)^2 and to solve from there, however, I'm just not sure where to start. (

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, got it. It's actually really easy, I just forgot to change kilometers into meters... fail!

1. What is a binary-star system?

A binary-star system is a system in which two stars orbit around a common center of mass. This means that the two stars are gravitationally bound to each other and revolve around each other.

2. How does gravity affect a binary-star system?

Gravity is the force that holds the two stars in a binary-star system together. It is responsible for keeping the stars in orbit around each other and maintaining their stability.

3. What is centripetal force in a binary-star system?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. In a binary-star system, centripetal force is responsible for keeping the stars in their orbital paths.

4. How does the mass of the stars affect the gravity and centripetal force in a binary-star system?

The mass of the stars directly affects the strength of the gravitational force between them. The larger the mass of the stars, the stronger the gravitational force and the faster the stars will orbit around each other. This also affects the strength of the centripetal force, as it is proportional to the mass and speed of the stars.

5. What happens if the gravity and centripetal force are not balanced in a binary-star system?

If the gravity and centripetal force are not balanced, the stars will either move closer together or move farther apart. If the gravity is stronger than the centripetal force, the stars will move closer together and may eventually merge. If the centripetal force is stronger, the stars will move farther apart and the system may become unstable.