Binary system of a neutron star with a black hole

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of mergers between a neutron star and a black hole and their association with GRBs. The paper being read mentions the concept of the last stable circular orbit in relation to the accretion disk near a black hole. There is some confusion about this concept and the person is seeking clarification. The conversation ends with the person receiving helpful references for further understanding.
Stella.Physics
I am reading about mergers of a neutron star with a black hole and the association with GRB. While talking about the accretion disk, the paper I am reading says about the last stable circular orbit.
Firstly I thought it was where the Roche limit lies, where mass transfer or matter ejection from the neutron star begins, but I think it must be something else.
I would appreciate some enlightenment :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Likes Stella.Physics
PAllen said:
Close to a BH, the potential is such that tiny perturbations of even a circular orbit would lead to ever more wild motion. The boundary where this starts to happen defines the innermost stable circular orbit. Here are a few references in increasing level detail:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innermost_stable_circular_orbit
http://eagle.phys.utk.edu/guidry/astro616/lectures/lecture_ch18.pdf (see 18.1.6, page 790)
http://arxiv.org/abs/1503.07060
Quite helpful references. Thanks!

1. What is a binary system of a neutron star with a black hole?

A binary system of a neutron star with a black hole is a system in which two astronomical objects, a neutron star and a black hole, orbit around each other due to the force of gravity.

2. How is a black hole formed in a binary system with a neutron star?

A black hole can be formed in a binary system with a neutron star when a massive star dies and its core collapses, creating a black hole. As the neutron star and black hole orbit each other, they can also merge to form a larger black hole.

3. What is the significance of studying binary systems of neutron stars with black holes?

Studying these systems can provide valuable insights into the behavior of extreme gravitational fields and the effects of strong gravitational waves. It can also help us understand the formation and evolution of these objects, as well as the processes that occur when they merge.

4. Can we observe binary systems of neutron stars with black holes?

Yes, we can observe these systems indirectly through the detection of gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the movement of massive objects. We can also observe them through X-ray emissions from the intense gravitational interactions between the two objects.

5. Are binary systems of neutron stars with black holes dangerous for Earth?

No, these systems are typically located far away from Earth and pose no danger to us. However, their merger can release a large amount of energy in the form of gravitational waves, which can be detected by sensitive instruments on Earth.