Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Binge drinking - how much of a problem

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    Besides the obvious fact that heavy drinking even in isolated situations may impact your health, how much of a problem is binge drinking in indicating potential addiction problems.
    Ill give you a particular case:

Heavy drinking for 1 night each 6-8 weeks. By heavy drinking I mean 700-800ml of Vodka / whiskey during 8 hours or so. Always stopping before being "knocked out" by alcohol, and even before you feel sick and have to puke. No alcohol cravings at all for the whole intermediary period. Very little, really close to none, social drinking in between.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think in those situations the acute damage is a bigger issue than the probably-low possibility of addiction.

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    Well I don't want to condone binge drinking on physics forums. But I'd say close to none in your case. You seem to feel like you're in control mentally. It's not that easy to develop a physical dependence without knowing that, for sure, you drink A LOT. You aren't even in the ballpark.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook