Binomial Expansion: Coeff of x^29 in (1+x^5+x^7+x^9)

  • Thread starter Thread starter icystrike
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Binomial Expansion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
icystrike
Messages
444
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Find the coefficient of [tex]x^{29}[/tex] in the expansion of [tex](1+x^{5}+x^{7}+x^{9})[/tex].

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is zero: there is no [itex]x^{29}[/itex] term in
[tex] (1+x^{5}+x^{7}+x^{9})[/tex]

I suppose you are missing some power?
 
CompuChip said:
It is zero: there is no [itex]x^{29}[/itex] term in
[tex] (1+x^{5}+x^{7}+x^{9})[/tex]

I suppose you are missing some power?

oh yea sorry.
its
[tex] (1+x^{5}+x^{7}+x^{9})^{16}[/tex]
 
So you have 16 factors of
[tex] (1+x^{5}+x^{7}+x^{9})[/tex]
multiplying. The first thing I'd do is check which unique combinations of powers give 29. For example, suppose that you open up the brackets. You will encounter terms with four factors of x^5, a factor of x^9 and all 1's otherwise, which gives x^29. Are there any other combinations?

Then, go through them one by one... you are looking for something of the form
[tex]x^9 \cdot x^5 \cdot x^5 \cdot x^5 \cdot x^5 \cdot 1 \cdot 1 \ cdot 1 \cdots[/tex]
(16 in total). How many different orders are there? I.e., when you again think about multiplying out the brackets, how many terms are there that give this expression?
 
I tried using another method:

attachment.php?attachmentid=22445&stc=1&d=1260634010.jpg
 
Attachments
  • soln.JPG
    soln.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 467
Yeah, well, that was essentially what I was thinking of too.

And your answer is correct.