Bio Major - Possible/worthwhile to become MLS(ASCP)?

• Programs
  • Thread starter phriot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the individual is 24 years old and currently enrolled at a community college. They previously attended college for computer science but switched to biology and have earned a 3.75 GPA at their community college. They plan on transferring to a 4-year school to finish their Bachelor's in Biology and eventually pursue a Master's and PhD in the field. They are considering becoming a Medical Technologist as a backup career option and are seeking advice on whether it is possible to take the certification exam while completing their Biology degree. They are also open to other career options in the science field.
phriot
My situation:
I am 24 years old and currently enrolled at a community college. I did attend college for computer science right out of high school at "real" school, but slacked hard during my second year. Subsequently, I screwed around at a local state school and then took some time off. I realized the error of my ways, remembered my interest in biology, and in the past two years have earned a 3.75 gpa at my cc (should end up more like a 3.9 after this semester, as I am making up a course I did poorly in previously). I will be graduating in May with an A.A. degree from a program designed for those students who wish to transfer to a 4-year school, so I have most of my basic coursework done (except for organic chem which hasn't been offered at my school while I've been there). I haven't heard back from my transfer schools yet, but I will be attending either a small liberal arts college, WPI (the school I went to out of high school), or BU (depending on what I get for scholarships/aid at each one) to finish my Bachelor's in Biology. I do plan on earning at least a Master's in my field at some point and will consider applying to PhD programs after I get some more coursework under my belt. My goal is to work in the biotech industry.

My question:
Is it possible for me to become qualified to take the Medical Technologist (ASCP) certification exam while completing my Biology degree? If it is possible, is it a worthwhile pursuit? My reasoning is that I would like to have the option of being a MT as a fallback career if biotech or some sort of academic position doesn't pan out. Depending on which degree I end up aiming for, I could be over 30 by the time I start a career and I don't want to ever risk being without a job for long. If I do become a researcher, MT per diem work would be a sweet option to have as well. I know some might tell me that a job isn't a good reason to earn a specific degree or certification, but I'm really just trying to be prudent. My passion is biology, but I could make myself happy doing anything sciency.

Thank you for any advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
phriot said:
My situation:
I am 24 years old and currently enrolled at a community college. I did attend college for computer science right out of high school at "real" school, but slacked hard during my second year. Subsequently, I screwed around at a local state school and then took some time off. I realized the error of my ways, remembered my interest in biology, and in the past two years have earned a 3.75 gpa at my cc (should end up more like a 3.9 after this semester, as I am making up a course I did poorly in previously). I will be graduating in May with an A.A. degree from a program designed for those students who wish to transfer to a 4-year school, so I have most of my basic coursework done (except for organic chem which hasn't been offered at my school while I've been there). I haven't heard back from my transfer schools yet, but I will be attending either a small liberal arts college, WPI (the school I went to out of high school), or BU (depending on what I get for scholarships/aid at each one) to finish my Bachelor's in Biology. I do plan on earning at least a Master's in my field at some point and will consider applying to PhD programs after I get some more coursework under my belt. My goal is to work in the biotech industry.

My question:
Is it possible for me to become qualified to take the Medical Technologist (ASCP) certification exam while completing my Biology degree? If it is possible, is it a worthwhile pursuit? My reasoning is that I would like to have the option of being a MT as a fallback career if biotech or some sort of academic position doesn't pan out. Depending on which degree I end up aiming for, I could be over 30 by the time I start a career and I don't want to ever risk being without a job for long. If I do become a researcher, MT per diem work would be a sweet option to have as well. I know some might tell me that a job isn't a good reason to earn a specific degree or certification, but I'm really just trying to be prudent. My passion is biology, but I could make myself happy doing anything sciency.

Thank you for any advice!

I don't have any advice for you via your question but I would like to comment that it's great that you're considering backup plans. My two good friends just graduated with biology degrees (one specialized in cellular & molecular, one in ecology & evolution ) and they are in panic mode trying to find a job... neither wanted to get a BSc so they are applying at every likely venue without success right now.

Any further help?

1. Is a Bio major a good background for becoming an MLS(ASCP)?

Yes, a Bio major provides a strong foundation in the basic sciences, such as biology, chemistry, and biochemistry, which are essential for understanding the principles and techniques used in medical laboratory science.

2. What is the difference between a Bio major and an MLS(ASCP)?

A Bio major focuses on the study of living organisms and their processes, while an MLS(ASCP) is a certification for medical laboratory scientists who perform laboratory tests and analyze results for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease.

3. What are the job prospects for an MLS(ASCP) with a Bio major?

The job prospects for MLS(ASCP) are excellent, with a projected job growth of 11% from 2018-2028. Many employers prefer or require this certification for employment, and a Bio major provides a strong background for success in this field.

4. How do I become an MLS(ASCP) with a Bio major?

To become an MLS(ASCP), you must first complete a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as Biology or Chemistry. Then, you must complete an accredited MLS(ASCP) program, which typically includes coursework and clinical rotations. Finally, you must pass the ASCP Board of Certification exam to obtain your certification.

5. Is becoming an MLS(ASCP) with a Bio major worthwhile?

Yes, becoming an MLS(ASCP) with a Bio major can be a fulfilling and rewarding career choice. It offers job stability, competitive salaries, and the opportunity to make a difference in the healthcare field by providing accurate and timely laboratory test results for patient care.