1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biogenesis states that life can only come from life

1. Sep 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Biogenesis states that life can only come from life, so if life can only come from life, than the universe had life in it from the start - right? and if it did, it was never created, and if it was never created by some life, than it doesn't exist right? But it does exist, so am I stating a paradox, or is there a simple answer that I overlooked (as I normally do)?

2. Relevant equations
    um...I don't think that this involves equations...

3. The attempt at a solution

spontaneous generation...happened at one point or another (well, not spontaneous 'generation' per say, but the sudden presence of life perhaps in an already established form of matter)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have set up a strawman: Biogenesis states that life comes from life.
    Since we have life now, it (life) must have always existed and was never created. Furthermore, (as your argument goes...) since the Universe was created at some point, life must have come from some lifeform outside the universe or the original thesis is flawed. My bet is that the original thesis is faulty.

Spontaneous generation is one alternative thesis that survives this logic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?