Biogenesis states that life can only come from life

  • Thread starter Thread starter 'anybody'
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Life States
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
'anybody'
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Biogenesis states that life can only come from life, so if life can only come from life, than the universe had life in it from the start - right? and if it did, it was never created, and if it was never created by some life, than it doesn't exist right? But it does exist, so am I stating a paradox, or is there a simple answer that I overlooked (as I normally do)?

Homework Equations


um...I don't think that this involves equations...


The Attempt at a Solution



spontaneous generation...happened at one point or another (well, not spontaneous 'generation' per say, but the sudden presence of life perhaps in an already established form of matter)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have set up a strawman: Biogenesis states that life comes from life.
Since we have life now, it (life) must have always existed and was never created. Furthermore, (as your argument goes...) since the Universe was created at some point, life must have come from some lifeform outside the universe or the original thesis is flawed. My bet is that the original thesis is faulty.

Spontaneous generation is one alternative thesis that survives this logic.