Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biologist vs. Physicist on god :P

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    Biologist vs. Physicist on... "god" :P

Hello!

Some time ago I was watching an interview between............ Richard Dawkins and... another scientist, whose name I can't recall.

In the interview he comments on his impression that there seems to be a different level of approval to the concept of 'a god' in the beliefs of biologists vs. physicists. He argues the reason is, physics cannot yet explain for certain enigmatic phenomena on the universe, so, it sort of leaves space for a kind of "mysticism" or at least a sense of "spiritualism" or perhaps "beauty" that accounts for the notion of 'a god' in this sense, even so to speak of "nature", you know, poetic stuff.

I share his idea about this distinction, but it is only my impression, I dont know what is the general feeling about this in biology? My invitation is for comments on your observations on the sentiment toward this idea on the field of biology, or even in physics or other sciences, what do you believe about this?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Biologist vs. Physicist on... "god" :P

Note that we have special guidelines for discussions on religious subjects
    I must say I don't know where you are going with this question, so I doubt that it would be appropriate for this forum.

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3

Yeaaaahh... I kinda thought that would be a possible reaction. Its not my intention to spark controversy, I understand this is a delicate subject, so, well I cant expect much affinity to be reached.

My only curiosity was towards the comment over the acceptance of this... ideology in different scientific areas? As, in, perhaps, a subject of philosophy of science, or psychology maybe. It even made me realize the different treatment even I give to different subjects. I get this sublime sense, for example, from poetry and physics. But to economics, I give it the cold treatment.

Honestly, I dont know how in all my good senses could believe I could raise a thread like this :smile: It was just my curiosity towards this comment by Dawkins. And, well, since it involved a renowned biologist, and the biology scientific community, well, maybe I got overexcited lol.

So, yeah, do what its appropiate for this. Maybe its better off to the general talk?

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4

Ahhh, btw Im neutral on the... god subject.

And I dont know if its obvious by my first post but its not my intention to make it a battle against Dawkins in any way. What I just find it funny that he has made himself so controversial these days, I kinda assumed everybody else perceived him also as controversial.

Some years ago, I fell in love with his book The Selfish Gene, and ever since to other topics in genetics, biology, etc. Im still not sure how I feel about how positive it is for a personality like him (and even more because I like to follow his investigation) to gather so much criticism on one side, and praise on the other, from two very antagonist groups. Peace everybody! :)

6. Nov 17, 2009 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  7. Nov 17, 2009 #6

DavidSnider

Gold Member

I think Dawkins realizes this too. On the book tour for The Greatest Show on Earth every single interview was still about The God Delusion. Nobody even wanted to talk about anything related to evolution.

8. Nov 17, 2009 #7

that's an interesting point of view. i would say that physics is more exacting, and there is less room for arrogance and bullsh!t pet theories.

9. Nov 17, 2009 #8

DavidSnider

Gold Member

10. Nov 17, 2009 #9

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Then why do the majority of crackpots seem to frequent the physics forums rather than the biology ones? :smile:

11. Nov 17, 2009 #10

i dunno, maybe for the same reason crackpot zoologists get rich writing pop-sci books

12. Nov 17, 2009 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is nonsense. No truth can come from generalized statements, such as the one you just posted.

13. Nov 17, 2009 #12

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Not nearly as much money as the Ramtha\Deepak Chopra\Etc Etc new age people make exploiting quantum mechanics.

You might have an argument with nutritionists though

14. Nov 17, 2009 #13

i love irony

15. Nov 17, 2009 #14

It seems to me that biology and physics both expose topics which may be controversial for a religious consistency --even almost historically equally for the two; both for science, and for the "psychological" or "emotional" perception or agreeability of the community towards the theories; and in relationship with the religious body...

I have an impression that fewer in the public are willing to sort of 'merge' the central dogmas in biology with their personal religious ideology, than it would be in the case of physics.

DS, you point something interesting... maybe those authors (Deepak Chopra, Ramtha) and maybe more have made a good job pointing out the agreeable, happy, letsbefriends implications of the theories in physics, towards religion or at least "spiritually"; and I am not aware of any other in biology that has done something similar, at least on such a scale of "popular" diffusion.

16. Nov 17, 2009 #15

Btw, I was rewatching that interview ( thanks for the link :) ) and he does mention something about Sagan looking at the universe and pointing out: "ahhhh what a wonderful, amazing, beautiful, etc universe!!!" and he (Dawkins) says, well, me too!!! I share that sense of wonder.

As far as I know, Sagan did not define himself as an atheist, but he did call for a redefinition of the conventional conception of 'god'. I feel Dawkins feels hes been unfairly threated hehe. Even though, every time I hear him speak or read his books, I get such a sense of, well, he can be very politically correct... then maybe it was his statement that came too harsh?

17. Nov 17, 2009 #16

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Sagan said he was an Agnostic in interviews, but he only said that because he thought the idea of saying 'There absolutely is no god' would be unscientific. Dawkins thinks the same thing, but he thinks using the term Agnostic is too weak to describe that position and that using the term 'God' to describe the laws of the universe like Einstein did was confusing.

You also have to remember that Sagan was a product of a different time when Atheism was still strongly linked to Communism and Nazism.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook