1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology; clarification of apple juice, help please!

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    I'm doing my biology coursework on the clarification of cloudy apple juice using pectinase and cellulase. I've found loads of useful information on pectinase and exactly how it clarifies the juice but absolutely nothing on cellulase so i'm a tad stuck..

I know that the microfibrils in the apple cells are made of cellulose and i'm guessing that cellulose remains as a suspension once the cells have degraded, can anyone give me any further detail please?

Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know an answer to this one...have never done anything on clarifying apple juice. But, just at face value, your answer sounds reasonable. Cellulase breaking down cellulose, and a reasonable guess about what cellulose might be in cloudy apple juice that requires breaking down.
  4. Feb 24, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your time & comments.

After a good hour searching through Processing Fruits: Science and Technology by Diane M. Barrett I finally found that it is indeed to do with the microfibrils in the primary cell wall of parenchyma cells in the skin and pulp of the apples.

Thanks again!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?