Biology; clarification of apple juice, help please

In summary, the conversation was about the clarification of cloudy apple juice using pectinase and cellulase. The person was struggling to find information on cellulase but had a good understanding of how pectinase works. They suspected that cellulase breaks down cellulose in the apple cells, causing it to remain as a suspension in the juice. After researching, they found that cellulose is found in the microfibrils of the primary cell wall of parenchyma cells in the apple's skin and pulp.
Rose-Elise
I'm doing my biology coursework on the clarification of cloudy apple juice using pectinase and cellulase. I've found loads of useful information on pectinase and exactly how it clarifies the juice but absolutely nothing on cellulase so I'm a tad stuck..

I know that the microfibrils in the apple cells are made of cellulose and I'm guessing that cellulose remains as a suspension once the cells have degraded, can anyone give me any further detail please?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know an answer to this one...have never done anything on clarifying apple juice. But, just at face value, your answer sounds reasonable. Cellulase breaking down cellulose, and a reasonable guess about what cellulose might be in cloudy apple juice that requires breaking down.

Thanks for your time & comments.

After a good hour searching through Processing Fruits: Science and Technology by Diane M. Barrett I finally found that it is indeed to do with the microfibrils in the primary cell wall of parenchyma cells in the skin and pulp of the apples.

Thanks again!

Related to Biology; clarification of apple juice, help please

1. What is the composition of apple juice?

Apple juice is primarily composed of water (around 90%), natural sugars (such as fructose and glucose), vitamins (such as vitamin C), minerals (such as potassium), and trace amounts of other compounds like phytochemicals and pectin.

2. Is apple juice a healthy option?

While apple juice does contain some vitamins and minerals, it is also high in natural sugars and lacks the fiber found in whole apples. It should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.

3. How is apple juice made?

Apple juice is typically made by crushing and pressing apples to extract the juice, which is then filtered and pasteurized to remove any bacteria. Some producers may add sugar or other ingredients for flavor.

4. Can apple juice go bad?

Like most juices, apple juice can go bad if not stored properly. It can spoil due to bacteria growth, so it is important to refrigerate it and consume it within a few days of opening.

5. What is the difference between apple juice and apple cider?

Apple juice is made by filtering and pasteurizing the juice of apples, while apple cider is made by pressing raw apples and leaving the juice unfiltered. This results in a cloudier appearance and stronger flavor in apple cider compared to apple juice.